Rent, Hire a Driver or take the train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are coming from Canada to Italy the last week of October 2005. Our itenerary so far is Rome 3 days, Siena 4 days and Venice 3 days. I am getting mixed suggestions regarding renting a car, taking the train ...and some have actually hired personal drivers. I would love to hear from those of you who can share their experiences and provide me with more information. Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM
ira

Hi Mishka,

Trains in Italy are inexpensive.

There is a bus from Rome to Siena, which is probably easier than the train, as they have a luggage compartment below the passenger cabin.

http://www.senabus.it/

From Siena to Venice, you can take the bus to Florence. The stop is about 1 blk from the train station. You then take the train to Venice SL.

See http://www.sita-on-line.it/ and
www.trenitalia.com

You can put your large suitcases on the large luggage rack at the end of the railroad car and your small suitcases on overhead racks.

We have trained Rome to Florence to Naples and back. It is not difficult.

Just adopt an Italian attitude - everything takes longer than you thought, so what? - and you will have a lovely visit.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM

My personal choice would be to train from Rome to Siena and from Siena to Venice, and rent a car while in Siena.
There is no need for a car in either Rome or Venice, and taking the train is "easier" than the logistics of getting a car and driving in my opinion.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 01:59 AM

Mishka - I agree with Patrick - the only place you might want a car is for one or two day-trips from Siena.

Although you can reach Florence, San Gimignano, Pisa and other places easily enough by public transport too ...

Steve

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 02:17 AM

Mishka,
My immediate reaction based on your itinerary is to go by train, seems to make most sense. Renting a car in Italy is very expensive. If you plan to visit some of the more off the beaten trail towns perhaps enroute then by all means rent, it is the best way to see the countryside. You could drop the car in Venice on arrival. There is nothing difficult about driving in Italy, and certainly no need to hire a driver. Additionally, gas and tolls are expensive. Carefully think about your itinerary and the real use for a car otherwise it seems train travel will probably suit your trip plans best.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Hope you know about the passes offered for trains and car rental to North Americans for Europe....Check here:

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/rail_drive/index.htm

You get 4 separate days of unlimited first class rail travel, AND two days of rental car use anywhere in Italy...

The price is unbeatable compared to buying tickets separately and trying to rent a car....AND the prices have been historically in dollars....they take the exchange risk, and you will find that the dollar prices are really cheap vs the current Euro exchange..

Buon viaggio!

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Given the relative number of sights in each city, I'd recommend that you consider changing the itinerary to 4 days each in Rome and Venice and 2 in Siena.

Otherwise, do make arrangements for daytrips from Siena to the surrounding area.