Rent a car or not?

May 25th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Kris

Rent a car or not?

I'm planning a trip to Portugal and don't really want to rent a car if I don't have to. We'll probably arrive in Lisbon and visit the south coast, and maybe some inland sites. Do we need a car, or will public transport get us where we want to go without a lot of discomfort???

May 25th, 2001, 11:08 AM
xxx

<<don't really want to rent a car if I don't have to>>

It's your vacation. Why would you let any stranger talk you into something you don't want to do?

<<will public transport get us where we want to go without a lot of discomfort?
>>

People who prefer public transportation always seem to be able to get the places they want to go. I prefer renting cars, but they have buses, trains, hired drivers and taxis in Portugal. None has "tacks in the seat". Less convenient? maybe. A lot of discomfort? Not to those who get along OK with public transport in other places.

May 25th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Kris

Does anyone a little less arrogant and a little more knowledgeable have a contribution to make? I'd especially like to hear from someone who has been there, and knows what the transportation situation is like. Thanks!

May 25th, 2001, 11:41 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Kris, I have done Portugal twice top to bottom and cannot imagine how to see many of the best destinations without a car. You can get to the major cities by train[Sintra, Porto, Faro], but Portugal is all about places like Nazare, Obidos,Sagres, and Estromoz. Do not drive in Lisbon, but you will not be able to do justice to Portugal without a car. Good luck !

May 27th, 2001, 06:29 AM
anne

Kris: We recently returned from a 2 wk southern Spain/Portugal trip and for seeing the best of Portugal I would advise renting a car, for driving outside of urban areas. We will definitely rent next time as you waste a great deal of time using public transport which can be tedious to organize plus you are confined to their schedules and stops. If you are heading as far south as the Algarve, there are spots you may want to see, where public buses can't take you and a daytrip just doesn't give you enough time to explore fully (eg. Cape St. Vincent / Silves/ Monichique.) Driving outside of metropolitan areas did not appear at all threatening, if you plan in advance. Safe travelling!

Search this Thread