rent a car

Jun 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

rent a car

We are flying into Milan, going to Venice, Florence , Sorrento and Rome. We would like to rent a car - there are 6 of us but having trouble finding a place. Can anyone help me?
My son is a newly diagnosed diabetic and thought having a car with a cooler in it would be easier than taking the train system for his needs.
Thanks!
Jun 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM

I have driven in a fair number of European countries, but only when the focus of the trip is countryside. I have found that you don't want a car in the cities. The cities you mention are not good for driving. (Obviously, Venice is no car region. You would have to park outside the city, and leave the car for the time in Venice.)

WIth that in mind, I would just take a train between the places. (Except Sorento, which is probably bus.) Otherwise, you rent the car and it stays in a parking lot, with you paying for it, while you take cabs or buses around town.
Jun 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Have you tried AutoEurope? Check out their website, and you can call them on the phone. They are based in the US and act as the middleman between local car agencies; I have found having their 24-hour English language toll free number very helpful the one time I had a problem with a car!

I agree that driving in Europe can be tricky, but once you learn what the road signs mean it gets much easier (you can look them up online before you go). If it's important to you to have the car, take a deep breath and do it!

Good luck!
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

We have tried AutoEurope and they are sold out. Will we be able to get one at the a/p in Milan or you definitely need reservations?

Thank you!
Jun 18th, 2007, 05:14 AM
ira

Hi M,

See the train schedules and ticket prices at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

The travel times are not so long that you need be concerned about diabetic supplies.

However, also check with
www.gemut.com,
www.novacarhire.com, www.auto-europe.co.uk

Jun 18th, 2007, 05:43 AM

I'm not quite sure i understand what you mean by "cooler."

is this some sort of electric model you are planning on plugging in while in the car? Or are we talking about something else?

With that itinerary the first place i would even THINK about renting/needing a car would be when I LEFT Florence..if that.

IMO, you don;t need one for the few-hour trip from Milan to venice.

You will end up parking the car the whole time you are IN Venice.

You won't need the car to get to Florence or in that city, etc.

Again, it might depend on the type of cooler...what would that be, Memorygal?