Remembering Miriam; Thinking of Oliver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thread suggested to me that Miriam's friends and acquaintences might like to offer a word of greatfullness for all the help she gave people.

And we should remember her brave husband Oliver who stood by her during her final days. He indeed went through an ordeal.

If someone knows his email address, I would appreciate knowing it. I hope those of you who knew him can email him a thought of gratitude. He was part of Miriam's help to so many.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Hi Bob,
In case you hadn't already seen the previous post chronicling her last few days through MonicaPileggi's contact with Oliver, here it is.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34518287

I recall a number of people there said that they had exchanged emails with them in the past and may have an email for Oliver. Or, you might be able to track down Monica by seeing where's she's posting these days. She, I believe, has Olivers home address.

It's a kind thing to want to do. Her story was very sad and touching.

~k
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

there were so many postings I missed the address.
I know all of us know something of what Oliver endured.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM

Just wondering if anyone has checked in on Oliver lately...

I did not know Miriam personally, but her posts helped me so much in planning my 1st Germany trip a couple of years ago.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:49 PM

What happened to Miriam?? Did I miss something whilst I was away??
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:15 PM

Hi Thin,

Miriam passed away suddenly last autumn. The saga of her illness was posted by her friend Monica. The thread is posted above.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:51 PM

As I recall, it was a very tragic event.
There was a long period of a coma like state and she never regained full alertness after being stricken.

Her English was very, very good and she worked at perfecting it by taking techical writing courses. I never knew what her profession was, but helping people travel well was her great interest.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Pardon my bringing this to the top, but I was looking for a particular message of mine and came across this one. I had never seen this one, obviously, since I didn't make any replies. Oliver arrives here in Maryland tomorrow and will spend a few nights with Tony and me. I had the pleasure of his company last month in Rostock while on my Baltic cruise. We had a lovely time together.

Bob, I remember corresponding with you! I will let Oliver know of your posting here.

Oliver is doing well. However, I'm sure it's still difficult being a young widow. I find Oliver to be a private person, so he keeps his feelings to himself. He told me his and Miriam's family are doing well.

I find it touching that she still remains as part of our lives on this forum. She never thought of herself, but only others. As I said before, the world needs more Miriams.

I'm glad I found this posting because it reminds me of my friendship with her in my busy life. Too many things go on that I forget the good things that come my way. I think of her but not every day. I should think of her more often. I wish I knew her better. And I wish I had more great times with her. Tony and I are looking forward to Oliver's visit and good memories with him. Life goes on.

Monica

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM

PS Bob, my email address is [email protected]

Monica
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Monica: we can only urge you to talk about Miriam with Oliver.

Too often we fail to realize that the loss of a loved one leaves a gaping hole in our lives, and we must talk through our pain.

Too often friends keep silence, thinking it is the kind thing to do. Not true.

We know, having lost our daughter to cancer in 1999. Time does not heal. Time only changes things. You never really get over this kind of loss. You learn to cope, you memorialize, and you never forget. And you learn to laugh again.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Was this an internet acquaintanceship to begin with (as it sounds like)?

That certainly gives it special significance since - as this thread proves - this new...and often impersonal, means of contact opens us up to such personal-yet-distant, incredible friendships, contacts and experiences....

Monica - I still recall your Balcons rescommendation (that's come up again here recently), and which we so thoroughly enjoyed on our first Paris venture!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:44 PM

Monica,

As hard as it may have been to bring up this thread, I thank you. I am so sorry for your, and Olivers loss.

All of this transpired before I found out about Fodors. It was very touching to read the thread. Miriam sounded like a great person, and thank you for posting the link with the picture. You are correct, she had a great smile. And you are a TRUE friend in every sense of the word!!

I hope you and your husband have a great visit with Oliver. Let him know that he is still in everyones thoughts and prayers.

Tom
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:07 AM

Hi everyone,

Yes, Tuckerdc, we met via fodors years back on our Germany trip. After that, anytime (well, most times) I returned to Europe, she and Oliver would travel and visit with us for a day or two. I always thought that was so generous of them. She posted quite often on Fodors giving advise on Germany. (Glad you liked Balcons!).

We had a lovely time with Oliver. We just came home from the airport. We spend the first day in D.C. at the Air and Space museum, then visited the new WWII memorial. Yesterday we took a hike on a couple of trails. Nice walk and nice time together. Oliver is doing very well and I think has moved on in life. He is very close to Miriam's parents, so I think that helps a bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to let those of you that did post here about Oliver's visit. We hope to visit him in Germany within the next 2 years.

Take care,

Monica