Search

Reims--which champagne houses to tour?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:37 AM
jmv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reims--which champagne houses to tour?

When we go to Paris in April, we've decided to take a day trip to Reims. My map suggests that we can walk from the train station to several of the champagne houses. From your experiences which would you recommend we opt to visit? Must we take the full tour or are there some where you can just taste without touring? Does Reims have good taxi service for return to the train station? Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 03:51 AM

I would recommend Pommery to you. It is an excellent visit with includes a tour of their underground cellars. However, there are 116 steps down to the cellars, so if you have difficulty walking bear this in mind. The cellars were made from excavating the chalk and now are home to 25 million bottles of champagne. The cellars are attractive and even include modern art by Strebelle.

After the tour there is a tasting in one their private rooms. The tour lasts about 1 hour 30 mins and of course you have the chance to purchase some champagne at the end.

I would certainly recommend this over the Veuve Clicquot visit. More info at pommery.com

I'm not sure about taxis at the station as I arrived by plane but I doubt this will be a problem.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:24 AM

Hi,
I visited the Taitinger cellars and found them to be very interesting. The cellars are under an old abbey destroyed during revolutions. Neat vaulted ceilings, plus you can see where Romans dug out the limestone. And... great champagne. Tasting at end was generous in quantity. Purchased some in their shop. Only way to tour cellar is via their tour guide. I beleive you could just go to the shop, but no free samples. We walked from the cathedral to there,about 15 minutes. The people at the reception were helpful and called us a cab to get back to the train station, cab arrived in 10 minutes.
When we first arrived, we walked from the train station to the cathedral, about 10 minute walk. Cathedral worth a visit, and there is a large champagne and wine shop in front of it that had good selection and pricing.
Hope this helps, and enjoy your visit!
Mike
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:09 AM
jmv
Original Poster

Thank you Mike--both London and Paris. I've had knee surgery not that long ago so I think Pommery is out. Taittinger sounds good. Thanks too for the info on walking times and cab availability. Does anyone else know of houses that permit tastings without tours. I don't think we'll have time (or inclination) for more than one tour but we could handle more than one tasting. Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:22 AM

Though it was many years ago, I still fondly recall my stop in Reims. Both the cathedral and Taitinger caves are definitely worth the visit.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 08:48 AM

I think all the champagne caves have a lot of steps to get down under. As I recall, there is a champagne house/tour very close to the Cathedral.

We did the Piper Heidseck tour, and it was great -- got into a little remote control car and drove thru the caves with explanations in English.

Afterwards, only gave us one glass of bubbly plus you could go to their store to buy. Lots of great deals.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:23 AM

Mumm also does a very nice tour, complete with a fountain of Champagne at the end.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM

Taittinger was closed to a private party the day we were there, so we did Maxim's across the street (sort of). But we were also on a day trip by train from Paris, and stopped at Epernay on the way back (a stop on the train). There we had a late lunch on the pretty square and toured Moet and Chandon -- which is wonderful tour. The little street headed by Moet and Chandon is worth a stop to see the champagne "houses" behind gates along the street. It's very close to the train station, and I'd consider it a must on your day trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM
jmv
Original Poster

Thanks all. Patrick, thanks for the info on Epernay. I thought we would need a car to go there but if it's on the train ride back from Reims, that sounds like a fun stop. Can't wait to meet you in Naples. I've enjoyed so much of your info here.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 06:12 PM

Walking to the cellars depends on what you consider close and which one you're visiting. If you've had knee surgery, some of the cellars within walking distance of the train station. The bus system however is easy and will take you right to the cellars. The TI at the cathedral can explain it all and that's about...6 blocks from the station. Some of the cellars are farther from the station, about a mile or more. Most have websites and I would e-mail telling of when you want to visit so that you can arrange an English tour. Pommery was closed as was Piper-Heidesick when we were there, (the dead of Winter). We did go to both Tattinger and Veuve-Cliqot. Personally I really enjoyed Veuve-Cliqot over Tattinger, but stairs wise, Tattinger was far less. There are very close to one another. I found all of the wineries promptly answered my e-mail inquiries and even made appointments with us to assure an English guide.