Reims

Aug 29th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Emily

Reims

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to France in January (yes, I know it's cold but it's cheap and that's all I care about) and I was wondering if anybody has been to Reims? If so, is it a bustling city or is it a little more quiet. I am just dying to visit the Champagne region, but I would prefer to go to a country town than a big city. Please advise!

Aug 29th, 2002, 08:41 AM
z

First learn how to spell it. Rheims.

Aug 29th, 2002, 08:50 AM
jj

You must be kidding, z.

It's definitely Reims.

Been there years ago and found it a charming little town.

This site might be helpful to you, Emily:

http://www.ville-reims.com/anglais/Default.htm

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Dom Perignon

Reims is a charming, but not a little town. 185,000 inhabitants. Epernay is a town (27,000) with many wine cellars and vineyards within walking distance.

Aug 29th, 2002, 03:12 PM
steve

Be sure to visit the WWI museum to see what it was like in the trenches.

It's a great city on Bastille Day

Oct 28th, 2002, 12:02 PM
lynn

It's been a while since I was there, but I found Reims worth a visit. It's a pretty good sized town. Try the Mumm (or any other maker) champagne caves, the cathedral and Gen. Eisenhower's map room, in which the Germans surrendered on May 7, 1945.

Oct 28th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Alec

Rheims is the anglicised form of Reims. BTW, pronounce it 'Raance' with a very nasal 'aa', or the French won't understand what you are talking about (from my own humble experience).
Reims has a rather disappointing exterior, with lots of industry in the suburbs, but the centre is quite attractive if a bit worn. Apart from the cathedral, the adjoinig Palais du Tau has artifacts from the past and the Basilica of St-Remi to the south is a fine Romanesque church, with the shrine of St Remigius who baptised the Frankish King Clovis. Champagne houses, though not as good as those in Epernay, are interesting with a welcome tasting at the end. They keep shorter hours in the winter, so check out.
Reims boasts the Michelin three-starred hotel-restaurant Boyer Les Crayères, and there are less costly alternatives in town like Vigneraie (closed 2 weeks in January) and Vigneron in place P Jamot to the east of the cathedral.

Oct 28th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Mike

We spend 2 nights at a chateau on the outskirts of Reims. Piper-Heidsieck, in downtown Reims, had an excellent champagne tour. We loved it.

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:24 PM
MJ

Ditto on the Eisenhower headquarters. Don't miss it.

Oct 28th, 2002, 08:37 PM
charlene

We did the Moet & Chandot (sp?) and the Pommery Champagne tours, both excellent. Great cathedral, nice town to walk around. Have fun!

Oct 28th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Doug

There are also many well signed driving routes through the champagne region. I particularily enjoyed following the Marne River. Also the town of Soissons nearby has two remarkable cathedrals.
We took the Taittinger's tour, they are near the Basilica St. Remi and years ago the Mumm's tour, both were fun. Near Epernay is the town of Hautvillier where the friar ( or monk) Dom Perignon invented the champagne process.

Oct 29th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Lori

We've been to Reims 2x and want to go back for a 3rd. (we love champagne). the Pommery tour was one of the best with Taittinger coming in second. If you know someone in the business, see if they can get you invited to Roederer - that was just great! Have lunch at Les Crayers, or if you really want to splurge have dinner! Enjoy - it's a bustling town with some decent shopping as well.

Oct 29th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Sandi

I took a 2-week tour all over France a couple years ago and the cathedral at Reims was the most magnificent I visited on the whole trip.

Oct 30th, 2002, 09:32 AM
tcc

Went on the Veuve Cliquot champagne tour two years ago. Enjoyed it very much. Very educational and glass of champagne at the end was wonderful. I don't feel that I need to do it again though so perhaps you should compare it with the others the previous posters mentioned. Either way, have fun.

Oct 30th, 2002, 10:02 AM
kam

Beautiful cathedral at Reims, where all kings of France went for coronation, including the Dauphin with Joan of Arc. Easy to drive to Reims from Epernay.

Oct 30th, 2002, 12:19 PM
John H

Hi, Emily,

Enjoyed Reims. It is a sizable city. The cathedral was great, there was a market going on the day we arrived (which we loved), and we enjoyed the tour at Mumms (well done).

I think there are better places to stay outside of the city, however.

Happy travels.

John H

Oct 30th, 2002, 12:19 PM
DJ

Is Reims a doable daytrip location from Paris?

Oct 30th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Christina

yes, of course -- it's only 1-1/2 hrs from Paris by train.