Regional-Pass CHF

Search

Regional-Pass CHF

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regional-Pass CHF

Does anyone know how the Regional pass for the Berner Oberland relates to the rest of the Swiss rail system.Would it reduce the price of a round trip from Zurich to Wengen.I am going in Oct.and trying to get an idea of the cost of train travel.Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Go to Raileurope.com
you'll find everything there
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:33 PM

The regional pass reduces the cost somewhat because the pass is valid as far as Bern.

I think if you do the full cost analysis you will find that the Swiss Card is probably better because your trip from Zürich to Wengen and return is included in the cost of the pass.
I am assuming you land in Zürich and will take the train from there.

I don;t know if the figures I posted a while back are still available or not.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

bob brown
Thank you for the help.I read your post on the subject you wrote in Dec.Swiss pass sounds like the way to go
Thanks again
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 11:40 AM

normally the only thing that gets reduced is the money in your wallet as some little guy in a pork pie hat with a feather stuck in the side says danke as he punches your regional ticket while some other technocrat in zurich rubs his hands together and counts the chf. bon voyage.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Please, make sure you are drawing a distinction between the PASS and the CARD, two different travel instruments all together!

The Pass gives free rail travel during its validity period, which is variable, but only 25% off on the mountain cable systems.

The Card is basically a 50% off pass that contains as a built-in feature a free ride from the point of entry to the destination the first night, and return to the border.

If the trip is mostly train travel on the Federal system, the PASS might be the right choice.

For me, up in the hills around Wengen and Mürren, the 50% off plus the free ride in from the border (or airport) is attractive.

The Swiss Card is a little harder to acquire. As far as I have learned to date, you either acquire it from the Swiss National Rail system via mail shipment or you buy it in Zürich at the airport train station. Rail Europe sells it too.

Last year I bought my CARD and my tickets between Munich and Lauterbrunnen from the USA via email. The Swiss rail office shipped it to me Fedex and billed my Visa card.

That way, I had my tickets when I got to Munich and did not need to go through the detail of buying a partially free ticket.

The Swiss agent who handled my request got everything right, so there was no problem at all.