Reload this Page >

Reconfirm international flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:15 AM
elizabeth

Is it still necessary to reconfirm international flights? We leave for Italy in 6 days, and I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:56 AM
sam

I always confirm all flights 24 hours before.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:56 AM
elaine

I always do, a couple of days before.<BR>Also confirm the seat assignments; sometimes there are "equipment changes".

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:12 AM
Arlene

Definitely reconfirm 72 hours prior. Once, in Spain, we asked the people at the hotel to reconfirm a Thursday flight on Wednesday AM. Then we went out for breakfast. When we returned, they told us our flight had been rescheduled and was leaving in 1/2 an hour! What a hastle to reschedule! They told us it was written "reconfirm 72 hours prior". So reconfirm early and avoid headaches. <BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:39 AM
Keith

Can't say I've ever reconfirmed any flights - within the UK and Europe or to the US and Asia. Why do you need to do this? Can someone explain???

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:41 AM
xxx

I always make it a point to reconfirm 72hrs prior to leaving home.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:28 AM
Therese

I've never confirmed, never had a problem. I mostly fly big U.S. carriers, and would be more inclined to confirm were I on a small carrier.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:52 AM
Janice

Always reconfirm. Flying back from Ireland to NYC a couple of years ago, we learned too late that our flight had been cancelled three days earlier. (still don't know why) Of course, we're out driving in the Irish countryside and the airline didn't know how to reach us - we get to the airport and have to wait 8 hours for the next flight. Had we called 24 or 48 hours ahead to reconfirm, we could have known ahead of time when we REALLY were going to fly out, and could have spent more time hanging out in Dublin, rather than the Dublin airport.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:58 AM
Seamus

It's one of theose better safe than sorry situations- the only time you'll benefit may be when there is a change to original plan, which doesn't happen often. But when it does, it's worth it to have the info ahead of time. Most airlines have local or toll free numbers, so pull a Nike and "just do it".

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:27 AM
Travis

I always confirm, like I just did for my flight tomorrow. It is just a good idea because you never know what changes they have made. I always fly major airlines as well, that doesn't mean they won't change just because they are bigger than others. I flew to Italy last year and my flight got changed to a new flight with a new time. They stated that they tried to call me six hours before to tell me, which I was at work and not home, which is the number they had. So good thing I arrived 2 1/2 hours early, becuase it turned out with the new changes I was only 45 mins early. What if I had not given that much time, I would have missed the new flight, which I had no idea changed! Reconfirm!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Freida

I would confirm. Last time we went to England we were told we did not need to but for the return trip my husband decided to anyway. Turned out we were not on the flight and it took half our last day there to get it sorted out. Better safe than sorry.<BR>

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Bob C

Based what has been said, it is not necessary to reconfirm. But you may wish to reconfirm to insure flight times etc..

Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:42 PM
Babs

Actually the airlines can release your seats if you do not reconfirm 72 hours prior to the flight. Once, flying home from London on Virgin we were almost denied boarding beacause of this. If you don't call and the airline is looking for seats they can assume that you may not be flying because you didn't "check in."

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:13 PM
shannon

It's wise to reconfirm, especially when the airlines overbook the plane. On the other hand, we failed to do this 2 years ago for the flight home from Paris to L.A. on Air France, coach was overbooked, and we got upgraded to biz class.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
sarah

<BR><BR>A couple of weeks ago I called to check on our reservations to Seattle. Turns out we had been booked into first class and economy was fully booked. We had to get tickets on a different flight on the outward trip, and on a different day for the return trip. Good thing I found out beforehand (though a friend suggested that the airline might have just given us the first-class seats if we had arrived at the airport as originally planned).

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:40 PM
StCirq

In April I called United from my house in France to reconfirm a flight three days later. It was confirmed. Three days later I arrived at CDG for the 3 pm flight at 1pm to find NO United counter at all even open. I eventually (after walking three times around the circular airport) ended up at the Information desk, where I was told that the flight I was on, United #911, had been cancelled in the wake of 911 because of the number of the flight. No one could explain why my confirmation call of two days previous had been honored, but everyone agreed that I had to spend an extra night in Paris (oh NOOOOOOO!!). I had to go back into Paris, spend another night, and go back to the airport in the morning. United offered no compensation whatsoever, though I probably should have pursued the issue. I got another night in Paris - could I realistically complain?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:23 PM
Harriette

I just called this evening to reconfirm our flight for Fri and they asked for an emergency # { a sign of the times I suppose } as well as telling me that our departure time for flight home has been changed. I think it is a must to reconfirm

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:55 PM
xxx

Try to but cant always get through but feel much better when I do for the sort of reasons people gave above.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:03 PM
janis

I ALWAYS confirm. Most of the time it is just a formality, but over the years I have had two situations where critical changes had been made.<BR><BR>Once due to a baggage handlers work-to-rule at LHR, my SFO flight was combined with one to Seattle leaving 2 hours earlier. <BR><BR>Another time my flight # and time were changed. It was only 45 minutes different but that cam make a big difference.

Old May 24th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Howard

On Continental, you're specifically told to reconfirm the return 72 hours before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -