Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you take a train from CDG to Mont St Michel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't figure out which train to use?

It seems that we may not be able to cancel one of our nights in Bayeux. I made the reservations through a service and I can't make another one for 2 nights and then cancel my 3 nights. They are full.

How would we get to MSM without driving all the way on our first day in the country? We may just have to bite the bullet and go all the way there. My DH thinks it will be no big deal. I am a bit more cautious.

Just checking options.

Thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM

This site gives a good oversight of possibilities how to get to MSM from Paris:http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/anim/plan_gb.swf

Either way; by public transport, it seems difficult.

The car is very well doable. Almost all highway.

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Yes take a train from CDG to Rennes (or go into Paris to get more frequent trains to Rennes

From Rennes shuttle buses go right to MSM

but i'd advise you to rather rent a car at the Rennes station if you are going to rent a car anyway

There are also sporadic trains from Rennes to Pontorson, six miles from the Mount or from Bayeux as well - but very spotty schedules on this sideline

TGV to Rennes then bus or car is the fastest most reliable way.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM

As there are few direct CDG-Rennes TGVs from the airport you can take a TGV to either Massy or St-Pierre-des-Corps and then switch to the frequent Paris-Montparnasse to Rennes TGV - this way you do not need to go into Paris and transfer to the Montparnasse station.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM

In Aug 2007 we (DH & myself) took the TGV from Paris to Rennes and rented a car there to enjoy MSM and walk DDay beaches. The driving to MSM and other points was easy. BUT the car to the Rennes gare is tricky! There are many one-way streets surrounding the gare and getting to the "return" area for car rentals was difficult. We knew of the return challenge when we picked up the car. We had the rental people indicate the return routing on the map etc. What we didn't know was the map was out-of-date b/c of recent constrution. Urgh...or

We were glad we rented in Rennes, consider the option!

Julie
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Didn't good a good job of proofreading my response, re: sentence on rental return. It should read, "BUT the car RETURN to the Rennes gare is tricky."

Julie
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM

2 years ago we went by regional train from Nantes(where we were visiting our daughter) to Rennes then another to Pontorson then the local bus to MSM. This was in early March. We had no trouble. Had to wait maybe 1/2 hour for next bus to the Mont but went across the street to a little tavern for an aperitif while waiting. We spent the night on MSM. It was magical! Beautiful and we had the island practically to ourselves since it was March! The local buses do run a lot less often in off-season, however, so be sure you know when they are running.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 08:02 AM

For complete timetables go to www.bahn.de. Click on the country flag drop-down menu for English. Enter Aeroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV as your departure point and Rennes as your arrival point. After you get summary timetables, click on "Details for all" to see the connecting points.