Reload this Page >

Recommendations on Hotels in Umbria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Moira B

We are driving from Florence to Umbria in February. Anyone have some favorite hotelsor bed and breakfast inns in that region? We were thinking of staying in either Assisi or Perugio, but are very flexible.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Judi

Moira, I loved Spello and the Hotel Palazzo Bocci (http://www.jpmoser.com/palazzobocci.html). Our standard double room was very nice and is L220,000 in February. Luisa and Greta are very sweet and helpful. One of the best meals we had in Italy was at La Bastiglia. It is connected to the hotel of the same name; it also looks like a nice hotel for someone with a car. Spello is only about fifteen minutes away from Assisi.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Betsy

Malvarina, an agriturismo near Assisi. Don't miss this one! A little piece of Umbrian heaven.<BR><BR>www.malvarina.it

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Moira<BR><BR>I have just replied to another question on Umbria - what to do & where to stay.<BR><BR>I know some people going to the Malvarina (Betsy's suggestion) in January so I will wait to hear from them about what it is like - the photos and description of the place are wonderful but it may be a bit remote.<BR><BR>Assisi is best very early in the morning or in the evening when the day-trippers have gone and a room with a view in Assisi is good for the soul.<BR><BR>You shouldn't think of staying in Perugia - difficult and expensive to park here and not worth the effort - if you really want to come for a day it is ok (a day in Gubbio is much more rewarding I think).<BR><BR>Ask away if I can help you at all.<BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Dale

I second the nomination of La Bastiglia in Spello. The food is wonderful and the hotel, at the top of the city, is all you could ask for. Ciao.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 10:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Do a search and find Santa Maria degli Ancillotti, a wonderful rural 4 star about 5 miles from Assisi--very nice.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:24 AM
gigi

Bob, I did a search on SM Degli Ancillotti and their website doesn't give you much to go on. No pics of rooms, details, etc. <BR><BR>Have you stayed there? Could you describe the room(s).....? What your experience there was like?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 10:00 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Yes, we did stay there in April of 2000.<BR>They are really small apts. and are very nice. It is actually a new facility<BR>built in 1992 I think. The family is lovely---Dad retired in the early 90s and built this place. They live there as well---the son speaks good English but the others do not. You can see more detail at www.travel-italy.com but you will pay less if you book directly. They may require a 3 nite minimum depending on the season. You can use my name if you want---I just got a Xmas card from them this week. We loved the setting and we did have dinner with them one nite. They offer half-board as an option--it was very good. It is hard to beat as a base for Umbria.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Helen Donegan

Message: Gigi<BR>I having been working with the Santa Maria degli Ancillotti for years now - it is a fabulous place.<BR>There are 8 bedrooms - each opening out to beautiful gardens.<BR>The owners, the Villa family, look after their guests like royalty and the food is simple and homemade, very high quality.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 10:35 AM
gigi

Thank you Bob and Helen!!! I have put it on my list for my 2002 visit - it sounds just wonderful.