Recommendations on hiking maps and books on Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Istanbul, Cappadocia and Cerali in Sept. Does anyone know of maps specifically to show terrain for hiking? Traveling with my brother-in-law who is an avid hiker. He has a major birthday coming up and I'd like to buy him maps of the areas where we will be traveling. They can either be individual maps or within books. He also likes rocks. Any books you can recommend on the geology of the area?
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM

I searched for maps, both road and hiking, before our trip in May and found this to be daunting. Generally speaking, we did not find good hiking maps showing terrain. We ran into other hikers who said the same thing.

There is a helpful book with some local maps for hikes around Cirali and along the coast call "Sunflower Complete Guide with walks, Antalya to Demre". We used their Kas to Dalyan guide and it was quite useful. (We did not go as far as Cirali).

We also got a map published by freytag & berndt "Turkish Riviera" or "Turkische Riviera" "Antalya Kemer Fethiye". The scale is 1:150,000. While you need better scale for hiking, we found this map invaluable both for driving and hiking because it helped us have a sense of where we were even though it didn't have the level of detail we were looking for. You have to be careful, though, about relying on where they place symbols for archaeological ruins as these are not precise so you cannot count on this as a guide for where you are.

We also used Lonely Planet for their maps of towns.

Using all three of the above resources together, we found it helped us in our hiking along the Med. coast.

There is a published book about the Lycian Way and Cirali is on the route. There is also a website I'm sure you can find by googling it. The owner of a travel shop I ran into in Turkey told me that there is a new guide or map to the Lycian Way published in the last year or two that is very accurate. I think he said it is in German. I don't know if this is correct, or not, but you could look into it further with some searches.

As I didn't go to Cappadocia, I don't know about hiking maps there. Other hikers we ran into who were on organized hikes by travel companies like ATG in the UK said they relied on those companies to draw up their own route guides and maps.

I searched for where to buy the maps I did purchase and got at least one of them from the Stanford travel bookstore in London. But some of these are probably sold by travel map and book stores on the internet in the US.

Best of luck with this and have a great trip.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a thread i found for you on Trip Advisor, for at least part of your trip.

You can also PM Canadamom for more info, since she has been running the Canada hotel at Cirali for almost 15 years.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, forgot to paste on previous post

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ean_Coast.html
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to the both of you. I decided on the Lonely Planet and the Lycian Way as birthday gifts.

Based on otherc's advice, I checked with the websites of our hotels in Urgrup and Cirali. They had lists of hikes. Between those lists, the list by canmom in Trip Advisor, and trip reports here, I came up with the idea to pull together all the information with pictures into one (rough) guide I will make myself.