Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva Hotels

I am looking at these two hotels in Geneva:
Hotel de la Paix (Quai du Mont-Blanc)
or
Hotel les Armures (Rue du Puits-St.-Pierre
in the Old Town)

Does anyone know anything about either one? My husband and I are staying in Geneva for 4 nights in December. He will be there for work and I will be on my own during the day, so I want the hotel to be in a good location to walk around.
Also, any great things to see in Geneva or day trips this time of year.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry do not know the hotels, but I have a great day trip for you...

Take the train out to Vevey. It's a town about one hour from Geneva right on Lac Leman (lake geneva). It has a wonderful central area of pedestrian walking streets, shops, cafes, and the 'quai' which is the promonade along the lakeside. The train lets you off right in the central part of town, and trains run often as this is a commuter route into Geneva.

Similarly the town of Montreux, which is the next stop along the train route. Also has interesting shopping and "Old Town" too see. You can get between the two towns by bus or train.

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM

They are both 5 star hotels.

De La Paix is right on the Quai du Mont Blanc (right bank) and quai side rooms should have the view of Mont Blanc, if the weather permits, that is. Acces wise, this one is a bit easier either from airport or from train station. Another + point is it re-opened a few months (or less than a year anyway) ago after a renovation.

Les Armures is the only 5 star hotel in the old town (left bank of Lake Geneva) next to Geneva's city hall and Cathederal St.Pierre. Rather a small hotel. If you prefer a bit of medieval atmosphere especially at night, this one is better for you. There is not much car traffic there. Another particularlity is they have a restaurant that serve fondue. Usually 5 star hotels don't serve this because of the smell. You might want to have it one cold winter night for dinner.

Both are in the city center so for your walk and shopping, either is OK but as I said you might prefer les Armures's medieval atmosphere. But for your husband, De La Paix may be better? It depends where he has to go for work.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM

check out the mandarin oriental, just down the street from les armures, we ate dinner at les armures and enjoyed it alot.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM

> just down the street from les armures

Sorry but "down the street" ? Les Armures is on the left bank at, sort of, the top of Old Town hill and Hotel du Rhone (Mandarine Oriental) is on the right bank of Rhone River. Geneva city center is compact so those locations are not far from each other though.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM

we walked in 5 minutes...., the hotel was excellent imo.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you everyone!
That day trip sounds great Suze. I can't wait!
I will find out where my husbands work is and go from there. The one in the old town sounds very cool.
I did look at the Mandarin Oriental and the price seemed a lot higher than the others.

Thanks again
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Suze-
Went to Vevey and Montreux today! Loved it! I lucked out on weather, but the fog didn't clear from the mountains until the end of the day. Montreux had lots of christmas shopping in outside "huts." I also went to the Chillon castle-very cool.

For anyone else reading this I took a bus to Annecy in France on my Geneva trip and thought is was a really cute town. Really cute Old Town.

As for the hotel-we ended up in getting a good rate on hotels.com for the Swissotel Metropole. The room is small, but the hotel is really nice and clean and it's a great location. It's not a high hotel, so even if you get a lake side room it might not be a lake view because of the trees. I saw the other hotels I talked about and they all look great too. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.