Recipe request! Looking for pizza crust recipes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,friends. I know this is not a cooking board,but many of you appreciate good food and I'm betting you can help me.

On my last trip to Italy,I really fell in love with the type of pizza sold at the Pizza al Taglio shops- you know,the kind cut from the large rectangular sheets. The crust is a little sweet and wonderfully greasy in an olive oil kind of way! Usually it's called pizza bianca,but it's not the same as the traditional pizza you'd buy in a pizzeria, you know the round thin,crispy type. Anyone have a recipe for this kind of dough?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:09 PM

you might want to try www.foodtv.com and look at Mario's recipies.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
ira

Hi diva,

There's one at http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...6_1019,00.html

When I do this, I just make my regular pizza dough (adding a little extra EVOO)and, after the second rising, I wet my hands with olive oil and gently knead the extra oil in.

Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,Ira.Do you think in Italy they use the same kind of dough for both types of pizza?
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Trader Joes carries a wonderful pizza dough in their dairy case, available in regular, whole wheat, herb. I roll it out in corn meal instead of flour, really olive oil up the pan and VOILA!

I learned of this from a friend from Peruga who is a fabulous cook and a total euro-snob when it comes to food.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Lynnie,is this pizza dough like the specific kind I'm in search of?There is a Trader Joe's in my city,so it would certainly be convenient.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:32 PM

Hi massagediva, I think the problem with trying to duplicate the receipe 100% is that the flour will not be the same as in Italy

It is impossible to duplicate various bread receipes from Italy. Flour, water etc. make a bit of a difference.

However, not so much that you will not enjoy it! It is making me hungry just thinking about it. Mangia!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes, LoveItaly, you're right.The devil is in the details here, I know. I just wanted to feel like I was more or less on the right track,as the pizza crust I've been making is very good,but not at all like the kind I'm wanting.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Good bakers will tell you that your dough will never be the same one place to another. How much water you add to the dough depends on the humidity of that day. If you use starter doughs it depends on the yeast that occur naturally in your area. Your water will affect the taste. As Loveitaly mentioned the flour, and for that matter did anyone mention the olive oil.

Having worked at a bakery for 5 years I made all the specialty breads. The ones I baked at the shop were different than the things I tured out of my own kitchen. The ovens at the bakery are different than my home oven.

There are so many variables.

Good luck in your quest! It is always fun to cook and search for that just right tasty combination.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

I certainly understand the effect of nuance in baking,but can someone give me a ballpark recipe for this type of pizza dough, that's all I ask!Haven eaten lots of pizza in Italy, Rome in particular,my sense is that this pizza (al taglio) is a different dough completely than the others.I'm not expecting to exactly duplicate this pizza,as for one,I don't have a pizza oven,but I'd like to come somewhat close.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Yes I think the regular crust they sell is a little sweet. For sure the whole wheat is. After that it is just a matter of how you roll it. Using the corn meal gives it a little crunch and however you oil your pan will make a difference.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,Lynnie. I'll give it a shot!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 01:49 AM

Masagedive, I know exactly what you mean. Most of the pizza places here have basiscaly the same crust..some good ,some better , some with corn meal...BUT we have 1 pizzeria that makes an Olive Oil crust , that is very different from the others..making the 8 mile r/t drive worth it!

Wish I could be more help but Fratello's does it better than I ever could! They use the crust for all their pizzas not just the pizza bianca.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:57 AM

I make my own pizzas sometimes, and after I press the dough into the pan, I spread a little oil on top, then bake for 5 minutes. Then I remove from the oven, put on my toppings and return it to the oven. That helps the dough rise without the weight of topping, and the oil puts a nice finish on the dough.

(I use grape oil, not olive; I like the taste better and it doesn't turn rancid as quickly as olive does.)
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:59 AM

You might find a nice faccacio recipe and "tweak it", just as to proportions and how thick YOU like it to be.

Epicurious.com would be my suggestion.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,SuzieC- I was thinking of trying a focaccia recipe. I'll let you all know if I have any success,and if worse comes to worse,I'll have to go to Fratello's (where is it?) or back to Italy soon for a fix!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:11 AM

Why not email Ms. Fant and see what she has to offer?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Grazie,NYC Food Snob! I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Lynnie D- I picked up some of the Trader Joe's pizza dough tonight.I used the herb/garlic,it was yummy! Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:16 AM

Hi. I use the Buitoni foccacia mix for my pizzas and I love it. It's been a long time since I ate a pizza in Italy, though, so. . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -