Reload this Page >

Recent Paris Restaurant Reviews and Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Paige

I've read the Fodor raves and prior restaurant threads as well as Wells' Food Lover's Guide to Paris and the Bistros of Paris book. All great resources. But, what I would really like to know from you is: Have you eaten recently at any of the following restaurants or can you suggest others we really ought to try while in Paris? Additionally, are there any dishes you particularly enjoyed?<BR><BR>We have reservations or plan to make reservations at the following restaurants: <BR>Jamin (dinner)<BR>La Regalade (dinner)<BR>Chez Maitre Paul (dinner)<BR>Le Vieux Bistro (lunch)<BR>Baracane (lunch)<BR>La Table d'Aude (lunch)<BR><BR>Thank you for your input.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Gayle

We ate at Le Vieux Bistro exactly one year ago and it was delightful. This charming, family run restaurant is located in the shadow of Notre Dame. We sat in the back room which was very nice, close tables, candlelight. Wonderful bread, especially for mopping up the butter and garlic bathing the escargot. I had beef bourgignon which I thought was good. My husband had an entrecote which was superb, especially the potatoes. Dessert was a divine fruit tart (pear I think) and the cheese course was also very good. We asked the waiter to recommend a wine that he enjoys and he recommended a very nice and reasonable Cote du Rhone.<BR><BR>In addition, we ate at (and do on every visit to Paris) Benoit, which has a wonderful chicken baked in salt, a fab chese course and a killer tarte au citron. We also enjoy Chez Georges<BR>1, rue du Mail (2nd arrondisement) There are two with same name, be careful. Tel 42 60 07 11. Nothing to look at but great food, cheap and amazingly local, a real neighborhood find.<BR><BR>Bon Appetit<BR><BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:11 PM
t

topping for more reviews

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Julie

Was in Paris Feb. 24 to March 3. Ate at Chez Maitre Paul. Place was only half full for lunch on Saturday so would not have needed to get the reservation I called in from the States. Had the chicken in yellow wine, the chicken in cream with cheese and the cassoulet (there were 4 in our party). Everything was as good as the raves I'd read on this site that caused me to go there. The chicken was really creamy/dreamy. Wonderful. <BR><BR>Tried to get reservations for La Regalade but though we called two weeks ahead, they informed us then (Feb. 20 something) that they were booked through the end of March. More about other restaurants you did not inquire about on my post entitled "another Paris trip Report"

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Paige

Thank you for the wonderful food descriptions. I was hoping for mouth watering reviews. <BR><BR>Julie - Great trip report! I've read lots of good things about Violin D'Ingres. It seems that it is a favorite among Fodor readers. I also like your idea of starting the day off at a market, we have a few on our list but none that you mentioned. I may need to go back to Wells (again!)My plan is to try a different chocolate shop each day.<BR><BR>Gayle - Is Benoit very expensive? I've also read great things about this restaurant, but we are already doing Jamin and I still want to pick up a couple of Herve Chapelier purses...

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:17 PM
StCirq

Julie:<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;had the chicken in yellow wine".&gt;&gt; <BR><BR>What the heck is yellow wine, and was it good?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Tom

Spoon is a great restaurant we tried in Paris a few years ago (brand new at the time). Subsequently they've opened one in London that we have also tried. It's Alain Ducasse's less expensive (but still very nice) restaurant where you can pair your entree with the sauce of your choice.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Julie

Chez Maitre Paul has a dish called Poulet au vin jaune avec morilles. That's chicken in yellow wine with mushrooms. Yes, it's very, very good. From a previous post on this site that extolled the virtues of this restaurant and this dish (as well as the poulette a la creme gratinee) I picked up that the yellow wine is a white wine of distinct yellowish color from the Jura region of France, which I believe is the area of France championed by this restaurant overall. This restaurant and this dish has a following on this site. That's how I decided I had to make this pilgrimage. I am now a zealous convert also.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Maribel

Julie,<BR>I love your restaurant reviews! We'll be at Chez Maitre Paul this Sat. and now know exactly what to order, thanks to your description. We've reserved at Baracane for lunch (rec from Ger), L'Affriole, Les Bookinistes (lunch) and Fontaine des Mars again, adding Le Troquet (not Le P'titTroquet), Le Reminet, La Rotisserie d'en Face and Le Florimond (rec from St. Cirq) and hope to hit L'Astrance for our last dinner. Our concierge has yet to get back to me on that one or on our "back up", Le Bellecour. Struck out as well on Le Regalade. We've done all our planning with P. Wells, Zagat and the Bistros books, plus some NY Times, Wine Spectator/Gourmet/F&W/Bon Appetit reviews in addition to Fodors faves and a few from the Bonjour Paris site and the Belle France and Paris Notes newsletters. Any negatives out there on those choices? <BR>Bon Appetit to all!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:22 AM
Julie

Maribel, what a lineup. Please come back with a blow-by-blow (or mouthful-by-mouthful) account. This is the kind of information people on this site are hungry for. Bon Appetit.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:25 AM
Gayle

Benoit and Jamin are not in the same sphere. Jamin is high end formal dining. Benoit is a traditional bistro. That said, Benoit is not inexpensive but Jamin is probably 3 times the cost (depending on wine).

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:24 AM
wendy

Maribel~<BR><BR>I leave for Paris March 28 - April 12th...looking forward to your reviews!???????? Sounds JUST fabulous!<BR><BR>Julie, have you been to Violin d'Ingres? I'm going in 2 weeks, any report on best/worst seating? <BR><BR>Has anyone anything 'recent' to report on Les Bookinistes, Lasserre, Violin d'Ingres...?<BR><BR>Paige, have you yet been to Michel Chaudun's on in the 7th? His chocolat is not only delicious, he creates and draws his own designs, creates the molds, uses the finest chocolat and creates the most amazing things! <BR><BR>He has created Russian samovars in chocolat, women's jewlery boxes filled with jewelry pieces (yes, all in chocolat) and these ENORMOUS chocolat eggs, lace like in design, filled with 300 little individual pieces of chocolat (no 2 are the same) and some Saudi Arabian princess came in one day when I was there and asked for 100 of them to be shipped to her residence the following week...and he politely told her no, these were works of art that take months to create just one! The shop is tiny, but a museum, eye 'candy' to say the least, and he has just opened a shop in Tokyo- the 'sweetest' guy you'll ever meet! (no pun intended)<BR><BR>He was in last year's edition of Bon Appetit, and sported Statue of Liberty chocolat pieces...<BR><BR>Bon voyage and bon appetit!<BR><BR>~Wendy~

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:36 AM
elaine

wendy<BR>I'll add my 2 cents for le Violon d'Ingres. I've been there twice, last time about 15 months ago (too long!)<BR>There is no bad place to sit, although perhaps in cold weather the tables closest to the front door/foyer might be affected by the weather, can't say for sure.<BR>It is a wonderful place to order a cheese course before or instead of dessert (desserts are great, though!)<BR>The cheese waiter was very helpful, and offered me very small portions (at my request) of two different cheeses that went wonderfully with the remainder of my wine.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:41 AM
Jody

wendy-<BR><BR>Had dinner at Bookinistes a few months ago and as usual it was extremely good. Just looked in my jouranl, we had cream of sweet potato soup with horseradis,coriander and oysters and cream of chestnut soup with chanterells..My H said it was the best soup( the swwet potato) that he'd ever had. he followed with duck and fig canneloni with a red wine sauce, and i had veal shanks with psata stuffed with cepes creme,olives, and sage! he then had mango soup with cocnut -banan emulsion..It looked wonderful but he wouldn't share even 1 bite!<BR>we find then consistently good and stop there each time we are in Paris.<BR><BR>I used to love chez maitre Paul but when it was sold I really think there quality declined slightly..or maybe It's just that I miss Madame Paul!!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:41 AM
wendy

Thank you Elaine!<BR><BR>Your 2 cents is worth a lot!!!!!!<BR><BR>I understand, that there is a room that lackes the same decor as the other room (rail road 'esque')?????<BR><BR>Did you walk to the Eiffel Tower afterward at night? Was it far? (My clients want to do this)...<BR><BR>I leave next week to check it out first, so thank you!<BR><BR>Wendy<BR>

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:43 AM
Jody

Fodor's or rather I need spellcheck on this site!!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:43 AM
elaine

Wendy<BR>Now that you mention it, I might have spoken too soon, there may be a room in the back that I haven't seen. I've been seated both times in the main central dining area.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:45 AM
wendy

Thank you Elaine- I'm glad I'm going early to check it out!<BR><BR>Jody- I'm sorry my spelling doesn't agree with you- I'm traveling too much between France and here...keyboards are totally different.<BR><BR>Wendy

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM
Paige

Thank you all for your reviews - it seems I may need to add Les Bookinistes to my list for this trip or the next (it sounds terrific). And Spoon sounds interesting too and is very near our B&B. Has anyone else been to Spoon, how much can we expect to pay for dinner?<BR><BR>Wendy: Thank you for the tip on Michel Chaudun's chocolate. I'll go just to see his lovely creations. I am also enjoying the other chocolate thread that is currently going.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:29 AM
elaine

I was at Spoon Dec 00.<BR>Modern d&eacute;cor, very trendy crowd, place doesn’t fill up until after 8:30. I would describe the dress code as casual chic. Unusual food, Asian and American influences, with interesting combinations of spices and herbs. As mentioned, you can make choices about which sauce or vegetable to have with which dish, although there are suggestions. Wait staff correct, but not overly friendly. They seemed pretty rushed. They also have wines by the glass, and the wine list has more non-French offerings (including Californias) than French ones. Many vegetarian alternatives. Dinner for two cost the equivalent of about $170 at the time. If caramel ice cream is offered for dessert, don’t miss it. I’m still thinking about it.<BR>However, I have to say that although the food was good, I don't feel the need to go again. For that price (and less) there are better choices, imo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -