Rec. for "base" town in Andalucia?

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rec. for "base" town in Andalucia?

Planning a two week trip for a group of three. Between Madrid and Seville we want to see Granada and some smaller towns, esp the sherry region, and maybe Gibralter. Our thinking is that this gives us some more relaxing days in between the bigger cities. {In case you can't tell, we tend to pack a lot in when we travel. =) } We don't mind driving a fair amount, but want to minimize changing hotels.

We're pondering what town(s) to use as home base - maybe train from Madrid to Cordoba, see the sites, and then drive toward Granada or Jaen for 1 or 2 nights. My instinct is that Granada would make for a long day, but worth it so we're closer for evening Alhambra visits? Or maybe fly Madrid to Malaga, explore, and then drive up from there to Granada? (In which case we'd catch Cordoba on the train back to Madrid.)

After Granada, we'd head west, and stay in Arcos (or other?) for two or three nights to explore the sherry region. Then onto Seville where we drop off the car, and after a few days train back to Madrid.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:40 PM

We spent a week in Priego(s?) de Cordoba in a "casa rural" and found it well located for Cordoba, Granada, some olive oil towns, Jaen,Ubeda and a few other places I cannot now remember. The town itself is small, very easy to get around, but has all the services. We were very happy with our selection, but if you wanted to go to Sevilla and the sherry region, this might not be the best location.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Seville is a decent choice. I did an Andalucia trip a few years ago. We started in Seville and then to Ronda, Mijas, Grenada and Carmona, and returned the car in Sevilla. We didn't have a base, but Sevilla would be a good one if you had to choose. Also, I would recommend all of the towns that I visited. Although, I would have preferred to stay in Marbella or Estepona, than in nearby Mijas. If you decide to fly into Malaga, I would stay west of there in the cities I mentioned above, as opposed to actually staying in Malaga. Granada is a pretty easy drive from the coast, and so is Ronda. Sevilla is a bit of a hike from the coast, but not horrible.
One more recommendation...We stayed in mostly Paradores which were excellent, and reasonably prices. Highly recommended.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM

Jaén would be a good base as both Cordoba and Granada can be reached within an hour and a half. Also the cities of Jaén, and Ubeda and Baeza the World-heritage cities are easily accessable.
Have a look at www.toprural.com they have a big list of registered casas rurales to rent. Make sure you stay south of Jaen say the Sierra Sur and not Cazorla or you'll be driving all day.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - that link to rural apartments is very interesting. Has anyone booked through them recently?