Reasonable Hotel near Vatican

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Bev

Reasonable Hotel near Vatican

Hi: Am looking for a reasonable hotel in the area of the Vatican. Can anyone suggest one and if you can even give a room number, it would be welcomed. Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 01:41 PM
Wayne

Bev---
Your best first try should be to look up Vatican area hotels on this Fodors site. There have been lots of postings of hotels and B&Bs that people have recommended. Two very reasonably priced hotels within walking distance are the Amalia (closest) and the Arcangelo. Amalia phone is 06-397-23356 and Arcangelo 06-687-4143. Don't omit the "0" when dialing the number, and obviously add 011-39 to begin.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:09 PM
ellen

I can recommend Hotel Springhouse, on the museum side of the Vatican. It's a three star place, good breakfast, appeared to be recently renovated. I believe I found it through www.venere.com, but they may have their own website.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:52 PM
Pat Klontz

We stayed at Alimandi at the steps of the Vatican museum. It was nice and reasonable. It is in the Rick Steve's Italy book. Or I am sure you could get it off his web site. PJK

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Bev

Thanks so much for your responses. I very much appreciate your time. Cia

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 09:26 PM
John H

Hi, Bev,

Two years ago we stayed at the Hotel Sant'Angelo in Rome. Great location on the Vatican side of the river -- maybe 10-15 minute walk to the Vatican and the same to the Spanish Steps. Good rooms, breakfast and we got wonderful dinner recommendation from the staff (ate at the same restaurant 2 blocks away twice in 3 nights).

Here's some info:

http://www.charmingrome.com/angelo/

Enjoy!

John H.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Tom @ Scala Reale

I second recommendation of the Alimandi and Spring House but you might also consider a convent. One I know is the Casa Paolo VI on Viale Vaticano where you can get a room with bath for about $50 US. Unfortunately, I don't have anything but a phone number for them [06-39723797]

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:21 AM
sandi

I stayed at the Spring House. For the money it was great. The rooms were clean w/ a full bath. The staff very helpful. Just blocks from the Vatican.