re-visit honeymoon 50 years later

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I used Fodor's "Europe on $5 a day" to travel around Europe from mid-June to mid-August 1970 for our honeymoon. For our 50th anniversary we would like to re-visit places on that trip, but using trains and a river cruise rather than a car. We went to London, Stratford, Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges, Prague, Vienna, Verona, Venice, Rome, Asissi, Naples, Florence, Milan, Monaco, Nice, Barcelona, Toulouse, Arles, Paris.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 10:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Congratulations on your anniversary. Do you have a question(s)?
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 10:47 AM

Congratulations! This time, I guess it will be more like $200-400 a day, or more, depending on your current style. The last time, you did not have options for lodging like airbnb or cell phones for carrying offline maps to easily get you around even on city streets. And, unless you have been back since then, you will be shocked at the crowds nearly everywhere. We aren't far behind you in age, and we can still travel to 20 cities in 60 days, even during hot and crowded summer conditions. I am not sure how many of these places you can cover in one river cruise, maybe a few. What suggestions, if any, are you looking for?
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 11:17 AM

Frommer's $5/Day same as I did. You may be the rare person who should look at railpasses for such a wide-ranging trip on trains - at least buy discounted tickets from national rail web sites if not - Eurail for folks over 29 is first class and that has benefits. For lots on trains and passes check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Eurails for the first time also pass on British trains as of this year I read and there is a pass holder fare for the Chunnel trains though discounted tickets from www.eurostar.com could be cheaper.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 12:16 PM

There are certainly river cruises from Amsterdam into Belgium. Many are only in spring but some are later in the year too. Not a cheap option but a good way to see places and relax and be pampered - perfect for a golden wedding. Viking do a cruise to Antwerp, and from there you can get the train to Bruges and Brussels. Maybe fly from there to Prague and continnue your journey from there.
Try to book flight into one country and out of another one, so into Amsterdam and out of Paris for instance.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by scooke
We went to London, Stratford, Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges, Prague, Vienna, Verona, Venice, Rome, Assisi, Naples, Florence, Milan, Monaco, Nice, Barcelona, Toulouse, Arles, Paris.
How many days are you planning for this trip? What's your budget?
I'd start in London, then continue by train or ferry to France, then a short train ride to Brussels, another train ride to Bruges, and later Amsterdam. From there you can embark on Danube/Rhine river cruise and make your way to Prague (depending on a budget), then board a train to Vienna, and maybe fly (?) to Italy, and explore it by train. This second portion of your journey is harder to connect, I am sure other more experienced travelers can jump in. But again, not knowing much about your budget and the duration of your trip is hard to suggest something.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 02:34 AM

Amazing idea, congratulations on your anniversarry! How long did your honeymoon lasted for?