Re: 2 weeks in the Netherlands

Sep 30th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Re: 2 weeks in the Netherlands

Hi: I am thinking of taking my daughter (she is married and 28) on a trip to the Netherlands using Untour, who I used for Provence and we greatly enjoyed that trip and the support that they offered. This trip they provide rail/bus passes instead of a rental car. I was curious if anyone has ever used Untours for Holland before, and if so, were they pleased with the location. I personally enjoy staying in an house or an apartment and having the time to get to really know the area and the people there. Any advice is greatly appreicated! Kathy
Sep 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM

We went to the Netherlands last Nov. with Untours. Leiden is a terrific town to use as a home base. We spent several days just there. Also went on the train to Amsterdam 4 different days,Delft, Kroller Muller Museum (that's a whole day in itself, but worth it),Brugge Belgium (did an overnight), and Harleem. Getting around by train was very easy, I just worried that we wouldn't get off at the correct place. (You know they don't announce the coming station in English and their pronounciation and mine seldom match- lol.) My husband just laughed at me, but I would often ask fellow riders to alert me to the right station. We were there during the off season, so there was no Untour activity or any other Untour people there. All the apartments are in the same building. Feel free to ask me any follow up questions and I'll try to help, although I'm certainly no expert. We have done several Untours and enjoyed them all.
Sep 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM

We actually started looking at Untours because they use Leiden as their base in Holland. Leiden was our faovite small city outside of Amsterdam and had a friend living there at the time we visited. I am eager to hear more details about the apartments.
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:13 AM

With two weeks in the Netherlands you might consider hiring a car for a day or two to get to the more "remote" parts that aren't as well served by public transport.

When are you thinking of coming? I'll happily help where I can with suggestions to fill two weeks. How nice you are devoting more than just 2-3 days to the Netherlands
Oct 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM

mmm a tour company to "do "The Netherlands? With public transport and a road system which are excellent you should have no trouble making up your own itinerary for half the money.
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM

ribeirasacra,
Untours is not a "tour company." In a nutshell,they offer apartments, a local contact person, air travel-if you want, local transportation (either public transportation if available or a rental car if not), and a book (sometimes maps) with ideas for sightseeing. Other then that you are on your own for your day to day activities and time schedules.
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM

Oh so a travel agent then? Whatever I bet they take their share of your money when it is all so simple to do in The Nehterlands,
Oct 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM

ribeirasacra,
You are dead wrong about Untours taking their share of the money. Profits are used for small business loans to people all over the world. It is a very charitable company. There has abeen a TV program about Untours explaining all this.

I used Untours for a Switzerland in 2007 and found them extremely helpful, and trustworthy. No false claims at all.
We signed up with Untours for Leiden in 2008 and a week before departure DW required emergency surgery and we had to cancel. Untours issued an immediate refund for the portion they were responsible for and trip insurance took care of the rest.

When results of surgery showed DW would be able to travel again, we tried to schedule 2009 with them but they had no openings. As a result I planned the trip on my own and found a very nice apartment in Zandvoort for two weeks. When a cancellation appeared, Untours called to let me know of it but it was too late.

Your snide remark about Untours, a company you know nothing about was uncalled for.

Incidently, Untours has a welcome home package for AARP members. Even we could not make the 2008 trip, Untours sent us the package.
Oct 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those of you who answered; but mostly, thank you to the two who stood up for Untours! They are a wonderful company to work with. To the person who made the snide remarks, please know that most of us on this board are not new to traveling. I have done Europe many times on my own and like to think that I am a seasoned traveler. The purpose of this board is for those of us who wish can share ideas and thoughts. I have learned a lot from my fellow travelers. I have used Untours before and will probably use them again.