Ranking Europe's Trains

Search

Ranking Europe's Trains

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranking Europe's Trains

I've been riding Europe's rails since 1969 - i even rode an actual in-service steam-hauled SNCF train and another one in the Brennero Pass - that's how long i've been a Euro rail buff. Before dementia sets in even more, here, in my opinion, are Europe's best train companies - by country.
1-Switzerland
2-Austria
3-Germany
4-France
5-Italy
6-Netherlands
7-Belgium
8-UK
9-Spain
10-Denmark
11-Sweden, Norway tie
13-Finland
14-Portugal
15-Greece
not rated: Eastern Europe - not familiar enough with in recent years.

I'd like to hear what other rail aficionados or just ones who've ridden rails in various countries think?
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:59 PM
ira

Hi Pal,

I pretty much agree, except that the only train problem I ever had was in Germany, when all of the officials in the station insisted that our train would come in on the track at which we were standing.

When it was 12 min late, I again asked the official on the platform if this was the right place, and was assured it was.

Fortunately, I caught the tail end of an announcement, in German only, that our train would be leaving in 2 min from a different track.

You think OJ Simpson could run through airports....

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

I guess if you're trying to rank the overall system of each country, maybe your order is pretty good. But it doesn't take into account the many "special" trains. For example the AVE of Spain or the Thalys or ICE trains are far superior to any trains that Switzerland has. But I love the way you can set your watch by the Swiss trains, and how they literally meet up for virtually instand transfers that people are likely to do.

I used to think Italian trains to be a nightmare. Plan on a general time and then hope that maybe it would show up and go within an hour of that. But in the past few years they have vastly improved their service.

I think some of the absolute worst trains I've ever been on were in the Southeast UK, when we had a pass. Some of those cars should have been retired years ago, or at least cleaned out once every several decades or so.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
KT

Why do you rank UK trains above Scandinavian ones, other than the fact that the network is more extensive?
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Patrick i chuckled at your characterization of trains in SE UK - the old Network Southeast - i've had similar experiences. Recently i took the Eurostar, one of Europe's fastest trains - actually a French TGV clad in Eurostar livery, to Ashford International and then took a local train to Hastings via Rye. This train seemed third world to me - especially after the Eurostar. It shook, rattled and rolled ever so slowly - it was a 'slam-door' train - as they call these antiques in the UK - each row of seats has its own door - when people get off or on it's a cacophony of doors slamming shut. I recently read there are only a handful of these still running and they'll be taken out of service soon. Not only was the train something out of a black-and-white film but yes it was filthy - drinks cans, crumpled newspapers, candy bar wrappers, etc. strewn around - graffiti even covered some of the windows!
Don't get me wrong i love UK trains and they're trying very hard but this train in particular was hard to fathom in 2003!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM

Ah, PalQ, now I remember you on that train to Rye! Yep that's one. We also rode along the coast somehow between Dover and Hastings or even Brighton. Similar trains. We also had sprung for first class passes, but most trains didn't have a first class, and a couple that did, we couldn't see any difference, unless it was a smaller number of drink bottles and cans lying on the floor.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM

Just to add my 2 cents:

All the trains we rode in France and Italy were fine, except for a slow afternoon train we rode from Paris to Dijon. It was a hot summer day and we had to hurry to catch the train and had only a little bit of water left. The train was stifling, with no air-conditioning even in the first-class compartments, and no dining car. All the windows were open and there was still hardly any breeze. We almost passed out from the heat and dehydration.

On our way back to Paris, we rode the TGV and it was great. But we'll always remember our most uncomfortable train ride was on the hell train in France.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Patreek: I enjoy your memories of these SE England trains - either no first class, or usually a few seats, which may or may not be occupied in peak periods by 2nd-class ticket holders. I took a Hastings-Brighton train and there were a few first-class compartments and in one of them were some 20s types partying down -they just didn't look like first-class ticket holders - kind of grunge or punk look and a case of beer and loud boombox. The conductor came by and said they'd have to move to 2nd class - he moved on and they never left - they were also smoking on the non-smoking train. Then at night i took a Brighton-Portsmouth train (well it was December, night starts about 4pm) and the whole way there were, every few seconds lightning type bright flashes along the tracks - something was wrong with the overhead wires or third rail or whatever and a big flash whenever the train passed some kind of contact point. And trains were severely disrupted by some kind of mudslide on the London-Brighton line, throwing schedules in chaos across the area. Oh i could go on and on - one reason i love British trains are these types of things - such as the train at a station near Brighton that failed to stop at the station, screeching to a halt about 200 yards behind - the PA says "we sincerely apologize to customers wishing to get off at xxxxxx, the driver forgot to stop - please take the next train to xxxxx and backtrack to this station as laws prevent the train from backing up into the station! I thought man if i were in Italy or Germany and this happened, i would have never understood the announcement or what to do. And i've ridden hundreds and hundreds of trains in Europe and i've never seen this happen! UK trains are great - they're so numerous they get you where you want to go, and it's always a laugh to me. Thanks for rekindling fond memories.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM

bookmarking
xyxyxy