Raining on my French parade

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please cheer me up. I am so pumped to be fulfilling a lifelong dream by visiting Paris this September. But it seems like whenever I talk about about it with friends, coworkers, even family, I get responses like "Why on earth would you want to go there?" and the like. It's because of the stereotypical "rude French" mentality but I know it's just that - a stereotype. You'll meet rude people walking down any street in the USA. It's really becoming a bummer to the point where I don't even want to talk about my trip with anyone.

I don't think I should have to justify to anyone why Paris is such an important place for me to visit. Do any of you have a good response to those kinds of negative comments?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Hi
Just say you're a bit masochist ;-)

Let's them talk and enjoy! ><
coco
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM

It's routine to get that kind of reaction in the United States. Just ignore it. And it's probably a good idea not to mention the trip to anyone, because you'll just keep getting the same reactions.

In reality, Paris is a wonderful place, and the French are not the least bit rude, as you shall soon discover. But you won't be able to convince others of that, so there's no point in trying. Just go to Paris and enjoy (something that they will never be able to do).
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I suppose if you didn't mind being ostracized by some of the small minds, one response to the "Why would you...?" could be, "To get away from parochial people like you."

Either smile sweetly and say something like, "I want to see for myself" or just don't comment. Let them think what they like. I wonder if these people would be any more receptive to your return with good memories and stories...perhaps not.

Other than making a bunch of more open-minded friends I'm not sure what the answer is.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM

And I totally disagree with Anthony. I think the only time this is a "routine" response is when you are involved with uneducated, poorly traveled folks.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Why on earth would you not want to go there
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:50 AM

"Cheese-eating surrender monkeys."

Homer, you have a lot to answer for.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM

My first response would be..."when were you there last ?" which will probably take care of 99% of the nay-sayers...followed by, ..."could you give me some specifics..". I am amazed that people that are totally ignorant, & have (probably) never been someplace, can somehow manage to feel as though they can have a valid opinion. You will have a great time, I'll be heading back this Winter myself... Intrepid is 100%correct...
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Sorry, that should be Groundskeeper Willie.
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I like cigale's answer.

In most cases, in addition to being uninformed, those people are either afraid or jealous (or both). Just ignore them!
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I've gotten some of the same- I'm taking my daughter on her first european trip, and its our first stop.

I say- I can't imagine NOT going to Paris. It is such an important city- it's place in history, literature, art and culture is unsurpassed.

and of course, smile- because who can argue with that!
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Intrepid--you read my mind.

Paris is an easy target because those who haven't traveled to Paris have probably heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that everyone is rude so of course that's completely accurate.

jbjayhawk,...we just came back from Paris a couple weeks ago. We took a friend with us. It his first time abroad and he was experiencing the same thing you are. Before we left, so many clients were asking him "why on earth do you want to go there---they're so rude". Having never been abroad he really didn't have a come back for them but, he was saavy enough to say that he'd come to his own conclusion AFTER going there! About halfway through the trip he turned to me one day and said he was blown away because it was so beautiful and the people were actually very nice. He couldn't wait to go back and tell his clients how wrong they were. I told him not to bother--I really don't to see those type of people in Paris anyway! I'd rather have them think it's a terrible place and they can continue going to Disney every year! More Paris for those of us who truly love it! (Not that I'd be biased)
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I get that reaction from certain family memebrs....the ones who are idiots.

Just ignore it - Paris is wonderful and we got along with everyone we encountered! We did get into conversations with other Americans while there and they sure did complain about rudeness, etc. but it was evident after 5 minutes of conversation that they were stereotypical, arrogant, self-centered Americans who thought everyone should speak English and cater to them. Sad.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:09 AM

I like John's answer... idiots!

Go. Enjoy. It was a big city I felt "comfortable" enough to make it my destination for a first solo trip.

I cannot WAIT to go back...
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Intrepid, you may move in different circles, but I've gotten that reaction systematically from everyone I've told about a trip to Paris. Before I moved to the city, I <i>constantly</i> heard people whine about what a mistake it was, how nasty the French were, what cowards they were, how they smelled, how they had no toilet paper, etc.

These comments came mostly from people who had never been to Paris&mdash;but 95% of Americans never visit any foreign country, so that's quite a few people. Those who had been to the city were much more rational in their reactions, although a few had created their own problems while abroad and came back with even greater xenophobia than before they had left.

In any case, I ignored everyone. I had done my research, and Paris looked like a great place to visit, and I could find no concrete evidence of hostility among the French. Sure enough, when I actually went, it lived up to my expectations. Had I listened to the naysayers, I'd still be sitting in traffic on the freeway with the A/C running for a two-hour commute each day in my hometown.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM

I can't add much to the responses, but I would urge you to ignore them, plan your trip, come here and live your dream. In general, I think the people here are some of the kindest I've ever met, and you get back what you give.

There is a tendancy among some people to mock what they can't have or don't understand.

Try to ignore them, and remember your dream is only four months away. September is one of the nicest months in Paris (and it's always wonderful).

A Paris cheerleader
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM

My first trip to Paris was in Sept. and the weather was glorious, so here's hoping for you. I don't know how old you are but I finally reached an age, thank goodness, that I don't feel I have to justify my choices to anyone, or do I have to seek validation from others. It took me a lot of years to get &quot;there&quot; and hopefully it won't take you as long. I LOVE Paris, my brother HATES Paris. I almost removed him from my Christmas list, LOL. At LEAST he had BEEN there so could make an informed choice about his own personal likes and dislikes, unlike probably most of YOUR critics. Just have a wonderful trip and enjoy all the fabulous things Paris can offer. Be sure to let us know how you liked it when you get back.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM

&quot;and the French are not the least bit rude&quot;
Tell this to my French in-laws and they'll dispute your findings - they say the French are often rude even to each other.
Personally i've ony found this rudeness in places like cafes from haughty waiters and occasionally in information offices - such as the time i was verbally attacked in French when i walked in a metro info office and didn't immediately say Bonjour - she attacked me for that quite voraciously.
I've traveled all over France for decades now and have found few rude folks except in Paris...and often the rudeness is deserved in cases of demanding Americans speaking loudly!
So though i may find the French the least bit rude at least in Paris i view it as part of the Paris experience and now laugh it off (like the time my French son told me he and his girlfriend went to a Parisian cafe and sat at the counter and waited and waited and waited whilst the waiter was chatting to others, doing nothing but chatting - when they asked him if they could get served as they were waiting for a train he snapped &quot;if you want quick service go to another cafe&quot; - so it does happen.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Of course there are rude people in Paris, just as there are in every other place in the world. In my experience, however, the people here are, as a rule, very polite, and often go that extra mile.
Old May 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM

John127....Do you have idiot relatives too....my..my....thought it was only my obnoxious brother in law.

He keeps asking me why would I want to go to europe and be surrounded by foreigners !!!! Like duh...USA has no foreigners ??? And who cares...better than people like him with his attitudes and that IS exactly what I tell him !!!

Besides I have been to France twice and I couldn't have been treated nicer. They really went the extra mile to be very helpful. ( Maybe it was my cute, petite adorable curly headed neice that did the trick..hmmmmmm)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -