RailEurope - Can this be right?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:12 AM
joanne

RailEurope - Can this be right?

In preparing for our trip to Italy next week, I have been researching rail schedules and fares using both www.trenitalia.it and RailEurope.com. For a Rome to Naples trip, trenitalia quotes me a 16 euro fare for second class. RailEurope quotes me a 29 euro fare, plus 15 for mandatory reservation, plus 10 for rail protection plan (optional) plus 7 for fast train supplement. Excluding the rail protection plan, that totals 51 euros. Can they possibly be charging 51 euros for a 16 euro trip, or am I reading this incorrectly?

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Rex

you got it right. Many of "us" have been trying to tell people this for a long time.

And there are special promotional fares in November from trenitalia (purchased there) which might even make the difference MORE striking!

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:19 AM
joanne

Thanks, Rex, for confirming this. And by the way, those specials for Saturdays in November do make the trip even cheaper at 10 euros for intercity trains.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Bob Brown

Rex is telling it like it is. And you found the prices like they are. Aren't you glad you found it BEFORE you bought!!!???
Almost all of the major continental train systems enable you to buy from here, but often international buying is not possible. That is where Rail Europe is able to sell tickets.

For example, if you look at the Die Bahn web site (German system), you cannot buy over the web if you want to cross international borders. The French site for the SNCF will allow you to reserve if the trip is continuous -- i.e. no change of train and the train is "French".
On the other hand, I have never had a problem getting there except on Sunday afternoon whens trains can get crowded.
My only advice is this: If you want to travel a main line on Sunday afternoon, buy a seat reservation ahead by three or four days. Other than that, I only take a seat reservation when it is mandatory or I really want a window seat.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:27 AM
xxx

For once I agree with Rex. It's true RailEurope overcharges because they know they are the sole US agent. It's about profits. Buy directly.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:04 PM
one good thing

The only good thing about RailEurope is the availability of the various travel passes. If you are travelling around enough, you can actually save some money with a pass, otherwise...buy the tickets there and save every time! (I use the European National Railways site for quick reference to the local schedules and fares to compare.)

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Rex

<<It's true RailEurope overcharges because they know they are the sole US agent. It's about profits.>>

While I am a vocal advocate for buying "there" instead of "here", I hope that these statements shown above are not intended as disparaging. Raileurope actually DOEs provide a thankless service - - it's just one that few people should use. Can you imaging trying to run a business in a foreign country - - selling tickets to the movie theater, for example, across an ocean? they have to pay employees; they have telecommunications and computer expenses to interface with the railway systems of Europe. Of course, there is a mark-up! How else would they remain in business?

I do not think that RailEurope are gougers. I think they provide a service that most informed travelers will realize that they can and should do without.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Jason

Believe it or not, there ARE people in the US who do not for whatever reason use the internet for anything except email.I hear it day after day after day.There will come a time when RailEurope will close down their NorthAmerican offices due to lack of bizness.Also, Americans just feel like a bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush.So if they have all their rail plans,tickets,itins, etc, then they can spend more time sightseeing.I have heard a lot of travellers say it isnt som much the money but the convenience of having all reservations made and tickets in hand.
Jason