Search

RailEurope

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RailEurope

I am going to Amsterdam on Thursday and I was wondering if anyone can get me some information on how to travel the RailEurope and the time it takes to travel from Amsterdam to London.

Thanks
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM

I think you need to forget the term Rail Europe and look at the German National Rail Web site. It is in English as well as German. It gives the best information of all of the western Europe sites. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...3&OK#focus

You can leave from Waterloo and go to Brussels and change for Amsterdam Central. It is about a 5.5 hour trip.

The other way involves a boat between Harwich and Holland. As a result, the trip is much slower.
You leave the Liverpool Street Station shortly after 8 am, and travel to Harwich where you board a ferry for the Hook of Holland.
There you change to another train and continue to Amsterdam. The trip takes 8 hours and 17 minutes according to the schedule.
The web site is this:
http://www.ns.nl/servlet/Satellite?c...age&c=Page

You can also consult a British site:
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM

OOPS. The British site I looked at was not helpful. It never heard of Amsterdam.
The route via Brussels leaves at 7:43 and 10:43 from Waterloo International on Eurostar.

I think that is an expensive ticket.
You might look at Easyjet and fly over.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM

I agree with bob. London-A'dam is very dooable by train, but WAY easier, faster and cheaper by plane. I think there are at least 2 or 3 discount airlines flying that route.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:50 AM

If going by train it's just a tad over two hours to Brussels then another three hours to Amsterdam. London-Brussels is thru the Chunnel by "eurostar" train - fares on this can be as low as $90 depending on time period - this is thru RailEurope in US - you may well pay more in London plus the cheapest fares must be reserved far in advance to guarantee availability. Have your eurostar ticket written to Antwerp - under the ABS (All Belgian Stations) fare with Eurostar, where you can go on the same day to any Belgian station from Brussels at no cost - then you should have an Antwerp-amsterdam ticket to complement your Eurostar fare. You must change in Brussels to hourly InterCity trains to Amsterdam - avoid the Thalys trains as they cost much more and require reservations - otherwise you can just hop on the InterCity trains. ($40 Antwerp-Amsterdam in second class). Eurostar also has special fares for seniors 60 and over ($90 on any train subject to availability; and youths under 26 - as low as $45 in some time periods. Compare these prices to UK fares at www.eurostar.co.uk. Raileurope charges a $15 reservation fee per order not per ticket. Eurostar trains leave about hourly. For the best service and info on Eurostar i and others (search for Eurostar in this forum) recommend Budget Europe whom i've dealt with for years (800-441-9413) - Linda there is a whizz at booking seat selection, etc- much more expert service than RailEurope in my experience. Eurostar tickets can be booked up to 9 months in advance - cheapest ones are not changeable or refundable - except senior fares which can be changed once in Europe up until time of the train. Anyways any questions, call BE. As for flying - if you have to leave from Stansted or Luton, it'll cost you a bundle to get to those airports - the Harwich boat link is also viable. I note in your question you're going Amsterdam-London - so it's in reverse of what i said but still the same ABS fare from Antwerp to Brussels then London. Same fares.