Search

Rail Travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:35 PM
MJ

Rail Travel

I will be visiting Manchester and have a brother in Cambridge. I'd like to visit him, and think the train is the best way to go; however it is a very long train ride. He is willing to drive his car and meet me 1/2 way, but I need help figuring out a train route and approximately what station is a close mid-way point. Any suggestions (planes, trains, automobiles) would be very appreciated.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>Dear Ms Griffin,<BR><BR>You are right: trains would be best. To meet in Cambridge (a handsome city) leave Manchester Piccadilly station on a weekday at 0743, change in Peterborough 1052 to 1137, reach Cambridge 1226. Then the service is 0842 to 1321, and hourly. The trains between Manchester and Peterborough have buffet cars or refreshment trolleys. Or, since Peterborough is an hour from Cambridge the two of you might meet there, but it is an ugly city, except for the cathedral.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Davidx

Ben is right but the cathedral is really great and the town is only a meeting place for you. Also I am sorry to say that our trains are less reliable than we might wish at the moment so Peterborough is a good idea.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Ruth

Yes, the train is possible, but needs at least one change as Ben said. <BR>You can check rail times and routes on www.railtrack.co.uk<BR><BR>There are flights from Manchester to Stansted (which is only about 30 min from Cambridge by car). British Airways express seems to do it for about 100 GBP round trip (4 flights each weekday), which may not be too much more than the train.<BR><BR>http://www.british-airways.com<BR><BR>I would definitely advise visiting Cambridge, if you haven't before, possibly with a side trip to Ely, which is easy to reach by train from Cambridge. Can you spend at least a day there?

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:30 AM
MJ

Thank you all for your responses. The advise was great, and while I'd love a train ride across England, time is just too limited, I took Ruth's advise and made a plane reservation. As I am fortunately able to vist England once or twice a year, I'll take the train next time. <BR>Thank you all again. <BR>