Search

Rail travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:22 PM
ray

Rail travel

Is it possible to travel by rail from Brussels to Venice, how long of a trip and how tiring? Is it worth going 1st class?

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Bob Brown

It is 14 hours. The only route I know of is through Paris, which means a change of train stations from Gare du Nord to Gare d'Lyon. You have over 90 minutes to make the change. <BR>Then you change again in Milan. <BR>Perhaps Ben Haines knows a better way; I don't. <BR> <BR>I think first class on a trip that long is better, if you can stand the difference in cost.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Bob

It's possible but it would be a 13 or 14 hour trip at best with a number of train changes. Flying would be a better choice.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Rex

www.virgin-express.com for Brussels to Milan. <BR> <BR>www.fs-on-line.com for Milan to Venice. <BR> <BR>will save you time, money and fatigue. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Heather

I just booked a one-way Venice-Brussels flight for $109.00 with RyanAir. I looked up the info on www.ryanair.com then called for the reservation.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Mr Dubose, <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. As Mr Bown says, there's a quicker way, and table 43 shows it. On Saturdays and Sundays leave Brussels Midi at 1915 and reach Venice Santa Lucia direct at 1106. Other days leave at 1915, change and breakfast at Milan Central from 0705 to 0805, and reach Venice S L at 1057. The night trains have sleeper compartments with 1, 2 and 3 berths, and couchette compartments with six berths. A 3-berth sleeper is the best buy, and is second class. By Ryan Air you are paying ten dollars ground transport at Brussels and Venice, plus <BR> <BR>The connection by day is the Vauban restaurant car express that leaves Brussel Midi daily at 0716. You change at Milan 1925 to 2005, and reach Venice at 2257. From 1522 to 1700 you're among splendid Swiss Alps. On balance, first class is not worth it. First class gives a little exta space, but nothing special, and the restaurant is the same car for both classes. <BR> <BR>The January issue of the timetable shows the basic second class fare from Brussels to Milan as 138 US dollars, and Milan to Venice as 12 dollars, total city centre to city centre 150 dollars. To this you add 50 dollars for a sleeper berth, or five dollars for a seat on the Vauban Express. As you see, there are either no changes of train or one change. <BR> <BR>By Ryan Air you pay 10 dollars ground transport in Brussels, 109 for the flight, and 10 for ground transport in Venice, total 129 dollars. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>