Reload this Page >

Rail to St. Moritz to Como?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Judy C.

Our family will be travelling from St. Moritz to Tremezzo (Lake Como) in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give me any advice on travelling from St. Moritz to Tremezzo? I am unsure on the most convient way to get to Tremezzo. We will have spent the previous week doing a fair amount of train travel so the idea of spending a lot of time on a train does not sound appealing. My research has been limited to the internet and I have only been able to dig up train routes that involve at least 3 train changes and take about 4 1/2 hours. I've been told it is a 2 1/2 via car. Is that true? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Ian

There is an excellent bus service run by the Swiss which goes from St. Moritz to Lugano via Menaggio which is only just up the road from Tremezzo. I will try to find out the timetable for you and prices plus taxi service in Menaggio for the last couple of miles.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Pam

Judy, <BR> <BR>Take a train from St. Moritz to Tirano, Italy. Change trains headed for Milan, get off in Varenna, and take the ferry across the lake to Tremezzo.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are going thes same route. Can you tell me your experiecnce?

Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:26 AM

The route from St. Moritz-Tirano takes you over the Bernina Pass; this is one of the most spectacular rail trips you could possibly take in terms of scenery.

What are your specific concerns about doing this?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 12:03 AM

I second Pam's suggestion! It's a wonderful combination of various types of scenery.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM

Thank you for your ideas.
My concern is the change of train as we are travelling with 2 kids. I worry about how we handle the luggage.

Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:07 AM

&gt;My concern is the change of train as we are travelling with 2 kids. I worry about how we handle the luggage.

Well, pack light. If you have too much luggage you will have difficulties to come even as far as St. Moritz.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, do pack light.

And, if the kids are old enough to pull a wheeled suitcase, that will help a lot. My kids had their own suitcases each to take care of. My husband had to lift the suitcases in and out of the train and the kids took care of the rest.

Except, of course, when there were stairs to be taken down or up, then it was back to hauling.

Use the sbb.ch (press e) website to print out the time schedules. You'll then see how much time you have between train connections. And you'll see the platform numbers (&quot;Gleis&quot; in German)