Search

Rail Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Jackson

Rail Tips

I've bought a rail pass, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to coordinate schedules (overnight, TGV, Eurostar, etc.) to match our itinerary (i.e. London to Paris to Nice to Venice (and back) in 3 weeks.<BR><BR>Just wondering what tips you might have for the pseudo-newbie (I did ride BritRail many, many years ago).

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Dena

Since you have already bought a rail pass, call rail europe on their 800 number and one of their agents can give you good information on your best route.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Bill

&lt;&lt;I've bought a rail pass&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>well, that was your first mistake.<BR><BR>I actually regret adding insult to injury, but maybe some other reader here can learn by example.<BR><BR>What not to do.<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Myer

There are those who will tell you that it was a mistake to buy a rail pass. <BR><BR>Maybe yes and maybe no.<BR><BR>There is a certain value in not waiting in line every time you want to get on a train. If you plan on doing relatively short day trips in addition to the long ones, then price isn't everything.<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Myer

I suggest you look at the following site. Although it's the German Railway System, I have found they give details for many other countries. Try it.<BR><BR>http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die...l_guests.shtml

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:30 PM
john

<BR>Jackson,<BR><BR>Ask for a Eurail Timetable from the seller of your Eurailpass. It is free and shows the major trains throughout the Eurail system. It's very easy to use. Also, especially for day tripping, buy a Thomas Cook European Timetable at www.thomascooktimetables.com. It's less than $20 including postage and takes about 2 weeks to arrive from England. And you might take a look at my page<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm for general information on training in Europe.<BR><BR>Your TGV and Eurostar travels require a reservation and fee. A sleeper will require a reservation and supplement. If your travels are on the weekends it is best to reserve early. Try to avoid travel on Sundays. Weekday travel is better and you can probably make your reservations as you go. <BR><BR>John<BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>For Jackson: The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. London to Paris is table 10, on to Venice is table 44. Eurostar trains with buffet car leave London Waterloo at 0723 and hourly till 1023, then at 1153 1253, 1353, and 1523: there are earlier and later trains. They take three hours to Paris. Coming back they leave Paris Nord about one an hour, from 0637 to 2113, and take three hours.<BR><BR>There is a direct overnight train, the Marco Polo Express, with 1, 2 and 3 berth skeepers, 4 berth couchettes, and a restaurant car, Paris Bercy 2001, Venice 0825. By day you have trains with buffet cars or restaurant cars, and change at Milan. Paris Lyon 0804 or 1104, Venice 1906 or 2206. Northbound the Marco Polo Express leaves Venice at 2000 and reaches Paris at 0823. The day connections leave Venice at 0528, 1025, and 1154, and reach Paris at 1611, 2135, and 2251.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR><BR>For Myer: But I buy point to point, and make reservations, at my first big station on the continent, or here in London, and never again wait in line. People who want to do this from the US can use <BR>USA and Germany<BR>Euraide, offices in Florida and Germany: http://www.euraide.de/. Telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. Fax 1 941-480-1522. E-mail [email protected]<BR>DER travel agency in the USA, formerly owned by German rail: http://www.der.com. E mail for information [email protected] and for sales [email protected]<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>