Reload this Page >

Rail-pass or NOT?

Search

Rail-pass or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 03:10 AM
Ken

Rail-pass or NOT?

I've been trying to get this information from Europeonrail and the Rick Steves site without any luck. Their systems are busy and not providing prices. Can someone please tell me if it would be more economical to get a rail pass or purchase tickets as we (2) go? <BR>3 days of train travel within 3 week period. <BR>Heidelberg to Ascona, Switzerland. <BR>Ascona to Venice. <BR>Siena to Rome. <BR>We may take one other short round trip to the ruins west of Rome. <BR>Thanks for your help. Ken

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Liz

I liked this site: <BR> <BR>www.railsaver.com <BR> <BR>It seemed like it was pretty accurate.

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:32 AM
xxx

Ken <BR> <BR>From a quick "eyeball" of your itinerary, it looks like point -to-point tickets would be more economical, but go to one of the train websites (I think the German site gives info for many European countries in addition to Germany) and cost it out. <BR> <BR>The www.railsaver.com site is a good resource, but remember they are in business to sell passes. I would put my itinerary into their site and then compare their recommendations with the result of your research on point-to-point tickets.

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Rex

I'm pretty impressed with this railsaver website. Using it shows that the point-to-point ticket swill be $138 (USD) per person. The cheapest relevant pass would be $280 (or $230 for under age 26). <BR> <BR>A pretty good illustration of how passes are not a bargain for a lot of travelers. <BR> <BR>This is a pretty useful find, Liz! Searching back, I see now that "kimerley" first pointed it out, and "sue" of nevada (nice people, she and gene!) mentioned it before also. I shoulda paid more attention sooner! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 07:17 AM
clairobscur

<BR>Just check the appropriate railways companies sites, add the prices of the individual tickets and compare to the price of a pass.... <BR> <BR> <BR>However, I'm quite sure that point-to-point tickets will be much cheaper...