Reload this Page >

Rail Pass for 1 week?

Search

Rail Pass for 1 week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 12:12 PM
Steve Curtis

Rail Pass for 1 week?

My wife and I are going to be in Switzerland in late May. We love European rail travel. Should we get a EURAIL PASS or SWISSRAIL PASS? We are flying in and out of Paris. Thanks!

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 03:13 PM
Jay Frank

My wife and I spent a wonderful 3 weeks in Europe using the Europass. I would strongly recommend it if you want the option of rail travel in countries other than Switzerland. Whichever pass you opt for, don't fail to take advantage of the ferry system. Have a great time -- I envy you! <BR> <BR>Jay <BR> <BR>By the way, consider some time in Strasbourg. It's an outstanding city. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 09:40 PM
Narelle

I recently returned from a 2 week holiday in Switzerland. During this time I used a Swiss Flexi pass. This pass gives a minimum of 3 days which can be used in a month. From memory I also paid a small amount for an extra 3 days giving me 6 days in total. <BR>The advantage of a Swiss Pass (or FlexiPass) over a Eurail Pass is that you can get between 25-50% discount off the total cost of most of the Swiss mountain trips ie Jungfrau and others around Interlaken.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 02:24 AM
Jay Frank

You get discounts with the Europass as well. The question really centers on how much rail travel you plan, and how much of it will be outside of Switzerland. For example, it is not uncommon to find that point-to-point ticketing is more economical. Take a look at <BR> <BR> www.railpass.com <BR> <BR>and have fun with Thomas Cook. <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Dave Hutchinson

Steve.. I can't believe that I picked up your note. Lynn and I spent 9 days in Switzerland in October. We had a Swiss Rail Pass. We were on 21 different trains. It is the only way to go.The trains arrive and leave the stations at the exact time. Get a first class pass..only a few dollars more, but you get the best accommodations on the train. The pass also is good for many harbor boats and the post busses. I posted a very large file in Prodigy on my trip. I would be happy to share the info and the pictures with you. Just drop a note to my email address -Hutch-