Search

Rail Pass

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rail Pass

We would like to travel from sorrento to naples to rome to florence to venice. In this situation is a rail pass worth it? Or should we buy individual tix. We are all under 26 and qualify for the reduced rate. I am willing to pay a little more if the pass gives some flexibility for travel i.e. wake up late one morning and can easily hop on the next train.
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 12:00 PM

At http://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm you'll probably find the answer, plus lots of other good info you'll be glad to learn.
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 12:19 PM

Are there refundable tickets on the route? Add those up and see if it's the same price or cheaper than your rail pass. Will likely be because at your age rail pass is pretty cheap.

I don't think it's worth it personally if you have no intention of hopping around. I kind of wish I would have sprung for a pass only because I always find new places to see on the way. Without a pass, that can be prohibitive. And I'd probably get a pass next time. But I would only break even if I did those day trips.
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 12:25 PM

for just three trips I cannot see the railpass being a great deal-what is the per day -3 day pass is $50 a day or about 60 euros plus you have to pay 10 euro supplement for mandated seat reservations on all but regional trains along with using the pass so each day is about 70 euros -I think you could probably find full fare tickets as cheap if wanting flexibility- anyway check www.trenitalia.com for fares.

If not in a hurry take dirt-cheap flat-fare regional trains between those places = yes about twice as slow but total flexibility as no seat reservations even possible - just buy tickets as you go along.

For lots of great info on Italian trains check -www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

> wake up late one morning and can easily hop on the next train.>

Again you cannot just show up for fast trains (yes for regional ones) but even with a pass need a mandated seat reservation - which means no just jumping on trains.
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 02:17 PM

When are you going on this trip - if not soon keep tuned to possible specials on railpasses - like an extra day or 20% off as they often pop up in early spring for travel until high season IME.