Reload this Page >

Rail Fares in England

Search

Rail Fares in England

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Jeanie

Rail Fares in England

Hi. I've been checking into train fares from London to Brighton and London to Windsor, two places we plan to go while in the UK the end of June. The BritRail website seems to indicate a $110 rt fare to Brighton which seems a bit high to me. Am I just living in a different cost decade?

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Roger

Doesn't sound right. You could purchase a 3 day Southeast pass for $77before you leave on your trip to London. Also, if you just plan on a day trip you could purchase a Cheap Day return once in London. The only restriction is you cannot take the train prior to 9 AM or so. I am sure others can offer additional information on this subject.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:15 AM
ron

A same day return from London to Brighton costs £12. See www.thetrainline.com for this and more expensive options, none of which will come near $110 (unless those are Australian dollars).

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:26 PM
kate

On May 8th I went to the Connex window in Victoria Station and purchased 2 same day return tickets (London to Brighton) at a cost of 38.40 gbp which included admittance to the Royal Pavillion. I don't think it was a super deal but possibly cut the cost by a couple of pounds. The Connex website is www.connex.co.uk

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 08:22 PM
jahoulih

Slightly off-topic, but I just thought I'd mention that BritRail Passes are on sale through the end of July at 25% off. You can buy the pass now and start to use it any time in the next six months. See www.raileurope.com or www.ricksteves.com for more information.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Mike

<BR>Also slightly off topic, but if you find tube maps too tiny for comfort, ask Underground station ticket clerks if they have a tube map for the visually impaired. They have them, but they don't advertise them or put them out for people to take. <BR> <BR>If you can't find them in a tube station, they are definitely available at the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Ask at the main desk.