Reload this Page >

quintessential paris restaurant book

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Beth

Hi all!<BR><BR>What a great board! I was wonder if there is a book that people might recommend that is kinda of the food bible for Paris?<BR><BR>Thanks so much. <BR><BR>Cheers, <BR><BR>Beth

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:14 AM
bonjour

WE use Patricia Wells' "Food Lover's Guide to Paris" every time we go to Paris. Very readable and she also describes makets, bakeries, food sources. It is truly a "bible" for us!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
Gretchen

Since this is already at the top I will agree wholeheartedly with "bonjour". She recommends restaurants in all price ranges plus you get wonderful recipes too.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
parislover

www.zagat.com

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Lesli

In addition to Patricia Wells' book, other good bets are Emmanuel Rubin's "Gourmet Paris" and Sandra Gustafson's "Great Eats Paris" (Formerly "Cheap Eats", and available for several locations; I like her "Great Sleeps" books as well.)

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Beth

thanks!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:58 AM
francesca

Timeout just published their latest version of their Paris restaurant guide. It is more of a local view than Cheap Eats and a bit more broad than Pat Wells book, which I also love. The guide is in magazine format and is available at English language bookstores in Paris and in some news stands.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:23 PM
Maribel

Beth,<BR>Ditto to all of the above, particuarly P. Well's book-it's my food bible for Paris, as well. She has more current restaurant reviews at<BR>www.patriciawells.com<BR>Also the "Bistros of Paris" by Hamburger (yes, that's the couple's last name) has given us many fine recs.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Peg

Another thumbs up for the Hamburger's Bistros of Paris. I'm working my way (or eating my way) through that one now. Very good recommendations in every neighborhood!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:03 PM
Maribel

Beth,<BR>I just picked up the new fall issue of Williams-Sonoma "Taste", with a special section on "Paris in the Fall". You might enjoy it.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 11:01 PM
beth

Thanks! I will pick that up. ]<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>Beth

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:00 AM
Jon

The Michelin Red Guide.<BR>j.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:05 AM
Belinda

The Gault Millau Guide. <BR><BR>Not sure there is a French edition though and then, it's for France all over. Nevertheless, very useful for Paris.<BR>I like it much better than the Red Michelin. <BR>But then, I like the Zagat best.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:15 AM
Sue

Another vote for P. Wells' and S. Gustafson's books!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Lois

I am wondering if those of you who have Patricia Wells book find it outdated since it was last published in 1999. I was recently thinking about purchasing the book, since P. Wells seems to be held in such high regard, but I am a little apprehensive about the publication date.<BR><BR>Please offer your opinions. Thanks.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Maribel

Lois,<BR>You can see updates (her restaurant &quot;pan&quot; of the moment) and her most recent IHT reviews at www.patriciawells.com

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 03:03 PM
ohoh

We recently got The Paris Cookbook (from PW). Made Bistro de Dome's Clams with Fresh Thyme (in heavy cream w/pepper) for dinner the other night. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!!! Talk about amazingly delicious....can't wait to get back to Paris. Anyplace that came up with this fabulous recipe must be wonderful.