Reload this Page >

Quiet hotel in Madrid

Search

Quiet hotel in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Vera

Quiet hotel in Madrid

We will be spending a couple of days in Madrid at each end of a two-week visit to Spain in March. Any recommendations for a QUIET hotel??<BR>Vera

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Maribel

Vera,<BR>See the thread "Best Hotel in Spain". The Hotel Suecia is both quiet and very well located, not something easy to find in the high-decibel, cacophony of Madrid. It's quiet because it's tucked away from and behind the traffic of Castellana Blvd and Alcala, behind the Thyssen Museum, not on a major tourist route or heavy traffic street(you'd never pass by it if you weren't looking for it) but still within very easy walking distance of the museum triangle (Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia), the Plaza Mayor & environs and the Puerta del Sol. <BR><BR>The Hotel Opera is also *relatively* quiet, but the Suecia, even better.<BR><BR>And the Hotel Residencia Alcala Galiano, up near the Plaza Colon, on the safest street in all of Madrid,(next to the Ministry of the Interior, that fights against ETA terrorism) has less expensive rooms that are a virtual decomprension chamber! This place is so quiet it's almost tomb-like. Zero hustle and bustle in the lobby because it's not a full-service hotel and has a repeat clientele who don't need lots of typical hotel amenities. If you ask for the double downstairs at the very end of the long hallway #113, or the single next door, you won't every hear a sound! It's a nobleman's residence, although it doesn't look like a palace from the outside-has more of a dated sixties exterior, but inside has a sitting room filled with antiques, tapestries, and the Marques de Perija family still lives upstairs. More like staying in a well- to- do relative's home, very homey, old fashioned, comfortable like an old shoe, but not for those who need modern decor, room service or an on-site restaurant, although the moderately priced "Hylogui" across the street serves good sandwiches at the bar and moderately priced meals.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR>Maribel

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Otto

The hotel Sol Melia is in a very quiet residential area, within easy reach of all important areas. Great rooms and the breakfast buffett is immense and hard to believe....recommend this hotel without qualms.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Doug

Check-out the following website for great Madrid info. Ask Madrid Man for his recommendations: he's the best.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Maribel

Agree completely with Otto about the 4 star Melia Sol (now called Melia Confort Los Galgos, if that's the Melia he is referring to, I think so)-have stayed here often and am a loyal fan. We spend a great deal of time in Madrid (family and business) and prefer to stay in the upscale shopping/residential Salamanca district for its peace and quiet, and because it's off the beaten tourist path. As former Madrid residents, we don't require a downtown or Old Madrid location, as a first-time visitor might. <BR><BR>(the www.madridman.com recs on the Message Board tend to be for Old Madrid/downtown hostals/hotels)<BR><BR>The Los Galgos is in the peaceful neighborhood where I used to live-a very pleasant, attractive area near the American Embassy and the upscale shopping of Serrano street. Within a few blocks you'll find many great tapas bars and fine restaurants. While it doesn't have an adjacent metro stop, you can hop on a bus at Serrano to take you downtown, or it's a 10-15 min. taxi ride. The walk to the Puerta del Sol would take a minimum of 30 min. ( I've done this many times, but I'm an avid walker in Madrid). The rooms have been recently redone and are extremely comfortable and upmarket, and as Otto says, the breakfast buffet is just tops, enormous-can eliminate the need for a big lunch. The Melia Galgos' rates can be rather steep mid-week, since it's primarily a business class hotel, (and 4 star), but their wkd./holiday and July/Aug. rates are a real steal. <BR><BR>Check Expedia-they often offer good discounts on the Melia group. We got an rate of $68 there last yr. thru Expedia , and on weekends and from July 15 thru Aug. you can even use Halcon Viajes "Week-End Plan" coupons (about $60 a piece-you can buy individual ones rather than a book of 5). You can buy these from any Halcon Viajes travel agency in Madrid (like the one downstairs in the Centro Comerical ABC on Serrano, a few blocks away), but you must notify Los Galgos when you make your reservation that you'll be paying your bill with H.V. coupons-they set aside a limited # of rms per day for coupon use.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 04:12 PM
Vera

Thanks for the helpful replies on a quiet hotel in Spain. The mention of discount coupons prompted me to post another question on another discount coupon I came across.<BR>Vera