Notices

Quick stop in Switzerland

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick stop in Switzerland

My husband and I will be in Germany (near Ulm) in a couple of weeks for work. We will then travel down to Torino area in Italy, but want to enjoy three days or so in Switzerland. We will probably be taking the train, though we can rent a car if it is recommended. Where shall we go to enjoy ourselves? Should we stay in one place for two nights, or move around? We were considering the Interlaken area.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 02:47 PM
jmw

Hi, SameBob. A village on one of Interlaken's two lakes (Thunersee and Brienzersee) will give you the best of both worlds -- lake and mountaintops. On the other hand, you will receive just as delightful a first impression of Switzerland if you stay your three nights in Lucerne or in one of its lake towns. Lucerne was one of the first Swiss cities I saw, and it, together with its blue-green lake and mountain vistas, wove a spell that has never worn off. J.

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I couldn't agree with jmw more. Even my son, who remembers not much of the trip we took in '94 when he was 5, remembers everything there is of Luzern.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 04:54 AM
jmw

Hi Surfergirl. It may be gauche to admit to being a tourist, but that's what I was in the 70's, and I was absolutely moved to tears by the lion memorial, loved the painted wooden bridges, couldn't get enough of the food, and well the lake. . . . I didn't even realize that Lucerne had a wall until my next visit! Love to your son! J.

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Hi JMW -- that was my first trip there too (in the '70's) and nothing had changed, other than the fact that the Chapel Bridge crossing the Reuss had been damaged by fire, but thankfully repaired. The lion memorial had the same effect on me as you (and Mark Twain for that matter).

Also, SameBob, the surrounding area is wonderful -- you can have the thrill of a lifetime by taking the boar, then the steepest cogwheel railway in the world (I think) to Mount Pilatus, followed by a cable car ride back down the mountain. Alternatively, you could have a similar experience going up to Rigi.
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JMW and SurferGirl for your help. Can you assist at all on hotels to stay that won't break the bank? Do you think we'll have a chance of finding a decent place with late notice? Usually I book the hotels in advance, but we may not be able to - due to some unanswered questions from the company. Do we dare try to find a hotel once we get there?
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:55 PM
JN

Most hotels break the bank. The Des Alpes is on the Reuss, has a Pilatus view to die for and is around 235chf for a river view double, with WC/Shower and breakfast. The Hotel Mr. Pickwick next door has an equally awesome view, is much less (~120 chf) for a double without breakfast, though some feel it is for younger folks/backpackers.

For food, try the Des Alpes outdoor/indoor restaurant for their fondue, raclette and gemischter salad--really good. For a splurge, try the Old Swiss House for their geschnetzeltes and Rosti.

lucky you--have fun!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:16 PM
jmw

Hi, SameBob, I have not stayed in Lucerne, but good friends of mine were really happy with a little hotel just outside of Lucerne along the lake in Hergiswil

http://hotel-roggerli.ch/

You might want to take a look. If you decide to wing it, make your first stop the tourist office. They are usually able to find something for you. J.

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:31 PM

Last time we were there we stayed at Des Alpes, partly because of the price (wow, it was a lot less in '94!) and because of the view. We had a room overlooking the Chapel Bridge with a tiny balcony! My mother had a room overlooking the street. Breakfast was included, and it was great with indoor/big balcony outdoor seating also with an incredible view. Easy walking and taking the bus everywhere from there. Also close to the train station and the boats. (You MUST check out the huge Gubelin Clock and Chagall stained glass in the train station!).