Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Quick question about Les Jules Verne (that was not answered when I searched)

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Beth

Hi all!

I did a search on Jules Verne (since tons has been written on this place), but I could not figure out if you can get to the top of the tower from Jules Verne without going back down to ground level.

Also, we could not get a table by a window but one in. It's still worth going...right?

Thanks!!!

Beth

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Carmina

If you are going for the view, go for the view -- but eat somewhere else! Jules Verne is overpriced, and geared toward the foreign businessman on an expense account. Some of the best food in the world is in Paris. Don't waste an opportunity to taste it by having dinner at Jules Verne!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:59 PM
beth

It's just lunch, I would not blow that much on Dinner.

Beth

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Grasshopper

Beth, We had lunch there last December. I thought it was well worth the money. We weren't by the window but close enough to see plenty. The perimeter is all windows. The food was very good (and they kept bringing delicious things until we thought we would pop) and the service was great. We were there for 3 hours. There were lots of French people, couples and I don't think I saw any business people.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:04 PM
beth

Grasshopper,

That is really my take. People on this board have really liked it, so I figured for lunch, it's well worth the money.

Do have any idea if I can get to the top of the tower from the Jules Verne?

Thanks

Beth

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Regina

It's been many years since I ate at The Jules Verne, but it is one of the best gastronomique memories I have. To this day I remember every detail of my meal. Even if you're not by the window, you're still dining in the Eiffel Tower. If you're looking for experiences in life and not overwhelmed by the cost, I would do it.
Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Grasshopper

oops, sorry, I forgot to add that part. Yes, you can take an elevator from the restaurant. As I recall the hard part was catching an elevator back down. The line was so long and there were lots of line cutters. I got so frustrated.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:32 PM
aaa

You can get the "Jules Verne Eiffel Tower" experience by going to Altitude 95 instead; it's very nice, decent food and less expensive.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Philip

One in is probably fine. However, I'd make sure that "one in" doesn't mean the banquette tables that leave one person with their back to the view.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Dan

Just back from Paris and ate at the Altitute 95 for dinner. Had a nice meal under 100euros for two with drinks and had a window seat overlooking the Seine.
There is a separate entrance for the Jules Verne. Look for the Yellow canopy by one of the legs.

We had to pay 3.80 per person for the first level to the Altitude 95 then using a credit card to purchase a ticket for 3.20 to go to the second level Jules verne level.
Purchased a separate ticket for 3.00 to go to the top. 10 euros in all and the lines were moving but not to bad. we went at night and had a reservation for 7pm and didn't hit the ground until 10:30. You are not rushed in the restaurant and it was a very pleasant experience.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Mike

Dan,

If I make reservations for Altitude 95 for dinner, do I have to stand in line to go up there? Don't mind paying, but doesn't Altitude 95 have its own entrance? If I make a 8:00 pm dinner reservation at Altitude 95, do I have to get to the Tower 1 hour ahead of time to stand in line to get to Altitude 95?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:45 PM
John

Is Altitude 95 a nice place to have a romantic dinner or should I go up to Jules Verne and pay the extra.