Quick opinion on Italy please.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondered if you Italian travelers would please give an opinion on where you would concentrate travels for 3 families with 6 upper-age teens and 1 10-year-old. We have 7 days and can't decide about going to Rome and Florence or farther north to Venice, Milan, etc. for our first journey to Italy, (though definitely not the last). Just reading about each makes us more unsure as they all look so interesting! We thought we needed to concentrate on a couple and not spend all our time traveling. Any opinions? Thanks, Jane
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:29 AM

I think six older teens would have a great time in Florence. Quieter spots might bore them.

I went with my daughter's high school to Italy, and the kids loved Venice, Sorrento and Florence the best. I think each of those towns was big enough for fun, but small enough for them to navigate and feel comfortable in. All three also had places for teens to socialize.

In Florence, they loved the San Lornenzo market.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM
ira

Hi Jane,

You could spend a week in Florence with daytrips to 2 of the following: Siena, Pisaand Lucca, Bologna and even Venice.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM

I think the kids would love Rome.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM

If they really like art museums, then Florence, if not, I would either spend the entire time in Rome, maybe with some day trips (Pompeii, Orvieto, etc), or do 4-5 days ROme and 2-3 days Venice.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:45 AM
ira

There really is more to Florence than the art museums.

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM

I would probably recommend Rome and Venice. I love Florence but think it might not have as much to offer teens unless they like Renaissance art and architecture. I wouldn't suggest Milan. If you are travelling from the US, try an open jaw flight into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa to save back-tracking.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM

I love Rome and Florence and think both cities have a lot to offer.

I do think the teenagers would enjoy the size of Florence and that you would feel comfortable allowing them more freedom there. There is a large language school there with many American students there as well.

Milan is the financial capital and would not be as interesting for them IMO. And I am one of those few that is not fond of Venice.

The open jaw suggestion is a very good one.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:13 PM

4 days in Rome with a side trip to Pompeii. Remaining days in Venice. Fly into Rome - out of Venice. Teenagers will love both of those cities. In Venice, take the Doges Palace Secret Itineray tour.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
cmt

I was 16 when I first went to Italy. Of the places you mentioned, I loved Florence and Venice, disliked Milan, and had mixed feelings about Rome.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:51 PM

Visited Florence at age 17. Fell in love with the San Lorenzo street market with purses, wallets, gloves, belts, coats, mini skirts, etc. etc. etc.! Loved climbing the duomo and wandering around in the Boboli Gardens (shrubbery and hedges is more accurate).

Visited again at age 22. Fell in love with the museums. Developed penchant for getting up early and photographing Ponte Vecchio and Duomo.

Visited again at age 24 on honeymoon. Developed major infatuation with the FOOD... yummm ;-) Went through the museum on Pompeii in the Pitti Palace twice! Learned the pleasure derived from sitting outside at a cafe with someone you love and watching the world go by in the most beautiful of settings.

Will visit again this May at the age of 25 - what will I discover this time??

I think teens will love Florence.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:26 PM

I've been to Florence several times from 1960 to 2002. Disliked it every time. Other people love it. It's highly personal.

Our teenage son loved Venice and Sorrento. Liked Rome. Florence was just OK.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM

Everyone is different.

When my daughter was 17 Florence rather bored her. Venice was a place she really enjoyed.

But Rome - oh how she loved Rome!

So I think it is hard to say which area or city of Italy teenagers or anyone will like the most.

And BTW, she loved Milan.

So again, IMHO who knows.

But knowing what I know, I would opt for Rome and Venice.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:45 PM

My teenagers hated Rome (this after spending their whole lives visiting Paris),but loved Venice and Vicenza and Padua and Asolo and Stresa on Lago Maggiore.

It's hard to say without knowing your kids.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:52 PM

Our teens LOVED ROME, and voted it as the most fun city that we visited on our first family trip to Italy! Rome is vibrant, fascinating, with fun and good food, a friendly city...(it was for us!) We saw quite a bit of Italy, including Pompeii, the Amalfi coast, Florence, and Venice, and Siena, and ROME received the unanimous family vote as the MOST FUN overall.

We stayed at the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio on Piazza Montecitorio in rome, which is a great central location in a wonderful walkable neighborhood...walk to the Pantheon, Trevi fountain, etc.

I planned the trip, and we had 4 nights in rome, with the last day in Rome as a free choice day for everyone, a chance to be spontaneous...the other days were pre-planned. Nobody wanted to leave Rome!

Florence was the least favorite city for my teens.

They also enjoyed Venice.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:40 AM

I don't think you mentioned the time of year you will be travelling. This may influence some of the opinions.

Without knowing any more about your kids & their interests, and the level of preparation they'll be willing to undertake, I would tend to opt for Venice and Rome the first trip, and Florence & Tuscany/Umbria the second trip.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:41 AM
ira

topping
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM

as a freq vistor to italy(9) and a trvl agent i think rome and florence would be great for teens many sights and monuments.a great side trip from florence is vinci birthplace of leonardo. tour his home and see all the inventions he created. enjoy yourselves jjblack/paradise trvl
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For 13 people (i'm assuming 2 adults in each family? is that right?) traveling in a group, and with only 7 days total to spend, I would pick one single place.

Assuming you're coming from overseas (again, assuming?) the 1st and last days are basically lost to airport logistics, so that's only 5 days of true travel time. I wouldn't spend them switching cities.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:25 PM

We travelled last April with a 10 and 13 year old. They loved Rome (3 nights), Siena (1 night), Venice (2 nights)and Sorrento (4 nights). My kids are not into museums, churches or art and loved Italy. They loved Sorrento. While in Sorrento, we visited Capri, Positano, and Pompeii.

We also stayed at the Bellveue Syrene which was located right on the Sea.

My kids still talk about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -