Quick jaunt to Scotland--please help with planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for guidance...arriving in EDI 16:20 on 3/25 and leaving from PIK at 10:15 on 3/27.

What to do, where to stay, best way to get to PIK from Edinburgh---rent a car? If so, any idea as to how long to plan for the drive and return of the rental? Initial thoughts are to just spend time in Edinburgh and then on to PIK for flight to Italy.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Not really much of a problem. Since you think you want to spend most of your time in Edinburgh, there is really no reason to rent a car. You can take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow and then transfer to a train to Prestwick.

You have to change stations in Glasgow (I think Queen Street to Central but you can check to make sure).

If you decide to go out in the countryside and wander around instead of sticking to Edinburgh - then it might make sense to rent a car. But just for Edinburgh/Glasgow/Prestwick you don't need one.

Have you been to Edinburgh before? If not, there is plenty more than enough to fill your 2 days.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

No, this will be my 1st time to Scotland. I suspect that it will not be my last, however, will probably return when it is a little warmer. (I'm not used to the cold as I live in FL & just came in from laying out in the sun)

Will I have any problem with the trains since the flight out of PIK is at 10:15 in the morning? Do you know what website I can look at to find the train schedules?

Any recommendations as to a nice local place to eat dinner on our 1st night? and also a place to sample various scotches
?

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:40 PM

I don't do train times, but you'll get them on www.thetrainline.com.

You need 20 minutes to get from Queen Street to Central on foot, a little less if you get a taxi.

Local to where? Edinburgh has lots of good places to eat. Where are you staying?

Kays in Jamaica Street for malt whisky; or the Bow bar in the Grassmarket; or the Blue Blazer in Spittal Street

You might want the education the malt whisky shop on the High Street gives you, during the day, as an alternative.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info

I don't yet have a hotel reserved...thinking about trying for a 4 or 5 star hotel on Priceline in the city centre. However, I have also read very positive reviews on the castleview guesthouse. Trying to decide if it would be a better experience to stay in a B&B or in one of the nicer centrally located hotels. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:23 PM

Well. Local to the city centre isn't hard.

Stac Polly, I think, would suit you. The main one is in Dublin Street in the New Town but there's a little one in Grindlay Streeet. But there are a zillion places all within a block or so of your hotel (whereever it is
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sheila, I'm impressed that your up at the time you posted. How's the heid?

We just finished up with the sangs and clatter and stacked the dishes in hopes the house elves will do the scullery work. Faint chance.

So what was your reply to the toast?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Ours was on Friday

If you really want the reply, I'll email it you. (you fool)