Reload this Page >

Quick HELP - Italy in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 01:15 PM
Beth Hattel

My husband and I are going to Italy and having trouble securing rooms. I've been to other parts of Europe before and made up my plans as I went along. This is his first trip and he's more comfortable with an itinerary. We're looking at October 10-13 Rome, October 13-17 Florence, October 17-19 Venice and back to Rome for Oct 19-21. Would really appreciate any suggestions for accommodations and how I might contact them for reservations, moderately priced central locations preferably. Also, train or car?? I'm open on the itinerary as well if any veterans suggest more or less time in each city. THANK YOU!! Beth

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 05:44 PM
Anna

Beth, <BR>You are not going to any out of the way places where you will need a car, so definitely travel by train. We travelled for 2 weeks last year and bought point to point second class tickets as we went. Personally, I think that 3 nights is enough for Rome. You could possibly add on another city. I love the Cinque Terre or you could spend more time around Florence in some of the hill towns - SanGemignano or Siena. We followed Rick Steve's Italy guidebook on our trip, we travelled in June and only reserved the hotel in our first city, Rome. The rest of the time we called a day or two ahead. We always found a place, maybe not our first choice, but usually the 2nd or 3rd.

Old Sep 23rd, 1998, 10:06 PM
Jackie

<BR>we just got back from Italy and we relied on Karen Brown's Italy:charming B&B publication.Her suggestions were <BR>delightful as far as we were concerned.It is worth the $16.Have a great trip.

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 04:26 AM
Paul Rabe

In regards to your question about car or train in Italy, the answer is simple: you can get to every site in every major city faster, cheaper, and more easily by using the train over a car. Every road in Italy is crowded, the drivers are maniacs, there is no legal parking anywhere, and gas is the equivalent of $4 a gallon. Trains run on time even in a democracy, and their prices are some of the best bargains in Europe.

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 04:26 AM
Paul Rabe

In regards to your question about car or train in Italy, the answer is simple: you can get to every site in every major city faster, cheaper, and more easily by using the train over a car. Every road in Italy is crowded, the drivers are maniacs, there is no legal parking anywhere, and gas is the equivalent of $4 a gallon. Trains run on time even in a democracy, and their prices are some of the best bargains in Europe.

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 04:40 AM
anne

We were in Italy last Oct., later in the month than you will be. We made reservations a day before we travelled to the next town. The only place we had trouble was Venice. I think I'd make reservations ahead for there! We were able to get into the charming Casa Verardo - a small family owned place on a small canal in the Castello district, very close to San Marco and major sights (as I'm sure you've read, ALL of Venice is a "major sight" - we walked and walked, getting lost and finding our way home again). Their # is 011-39-41-528-6138. Around $100/ double, including breakfast in the lovely former ballroom. <BR>In Florence we stayed at the friendly and comfy Albergo Centrale - just around the corner from the Duomo, and about a 10 minute walk from the train station. Phone 011-39-55-21-57-61. Around $90/double, which includes a plentiful buffet breakfast. <BR>And ditto to the previous postings about train travel, and more time in Tuscany around Florence. <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 09:39 AM
kam

The fax number for the tourist info office in Florence is 011-39-55-276 0383. Hotel Pendini sounds like it would fit your requirements at 55-281-807 or H. Calzaiuoli at 55-268310. Another favorite is H. Hermitage at 55-212-208. The train is the much better way to go. Yoou might have to stay outside of Florence and take the bus in, but that's a workable solution. Good luck! <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Steff

We found rooms at Hotel Genio (mentioned on Fodors)- near Piazza Navona - thru Orbitz.com - you should also check venere.com. We added Rome to our trip at the last minute and found rooms thru both sites for the same dates you will be there.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:03 AM
xxx

This a 4 year old request! How on earth did it get topped