Quick (and first) trip to Nice

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:40 AM
chris

Quick (and first) trip to Nice

Just found out that I get to join my husband for a 2 day meeting he has in Nice. I will be pretty much on my own, and I would love to hear suggestions of what to do in Nice with only 2 days to spend. Also would love to hear what shopping treasures might be waiting to be found!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Christina

If you like art, they have two good specialized fine arts museums (Chagall and Matisse). The old quarter is interesting to walk around, as well as the park on the bluff over the sea and just walking along the boardwalk. I don't think of Nice as being any special shopping mecca for anything. They do have a market in the Cours Saleya at least once a week, but I don't recall that I bought anything. I saw some interesting fabrics in some shops in the old quarter, that's all I remember much, but most people don't want to buy fabric. Nice is a pretty large city and to a great extent shopping is nothing unique, just stuff and dept stores you'll find elsewhere. At least those were my impressions but I didn't expect to buy anything special there.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Lindsey

It's been years, but the best pizza I have ever had was in Nice. Located on the pedestrian plaza, there are two restaurants across from each other each with a wood burning stove. Also, there is a hilltop park with a wonderful view of the city and the Mediterranean. Make sure to eat their version of a hot dog. If you are adventurous, rent a moped or a car and drive around the countryside. You can also go to Monaco or Cannes, since they are fairly close. Oh, and watch "To Catch a Thief" before you go.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:36 PM
elvira

From the main bus terminal you can get busses to the surrounding hill towns. St Paul de Vence is a walled city with artists and artisans. I found a wonderful pottery bowl for a reasonable price in an artist's workshop/gallery. <BR> <BR>In the Old City (mostly pedestrian streets) there are lots of shops selling Provence stuff, like lavender and olives. Too bad one can't bring fresh produce home - there's stuff there that you'd love to bring home and cook up... <BR> <BR>Lindsey, I agree with you...the best pizza on the planet comes from Nice! And some sort of rose wine, never did get the name of it, that tasted like real wine, not some sort of alcoholic soda pop.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:24 AM
carol

If you're going to be there on a Monday, be sure to go to the Cours Saleya near the Old Town, there's a fabulous all-day flea market there--the rest of the week, it's the flower/fruit/vegetable market. The best time is in the morning. If you're adventurous and don't feel like going to museums, you could take a very short train ride (@5 minutes)to Villefranche-sur-Mer which is a former fishing village with a charming little beach, a waterfront filled with boutiques and galleries, a Cocteau museum and a quaint old town.