Questions to help fill in the gaps of my itinerary - Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend, Diane, & I are vacationing in Italy for week in November. We realize the weather may not be ideal. That said, we are very excited about our trip. A few questions:

Our first day in Rome,we have a 10:30 Scavi tour which, according to their email, lasts 90 minutes. We need a lunch suggestion near the Vatican as we'll leave for our train journey to Tuscany afterwards. Restaurant suggestions? We'll have had pizza the night before (Da Buffato) and will have a yummy dinner in Tuscany that evening.

Sightseeing in Tuscany - having enjoyed Pienza, Montepulciano, San Quirico, Siena, Cortona, and Montalcino, I'd like to explore Orvieto. The highly recommended restaurant, I Sette Consoli, is one I'd like to try. Reservations for lunch on a Wednesday? Is it a savor and take your time kind of lunch? Another exploration I'd like to embark upon while in Tuscany is Monte Oliveto Maggiore - thoughts?

La Chiusa - for dinner one night, this is on my list of considerations. As it gets dark early in November, we are staying at La Saracina (between Pienza & Montepulciano), should we or shouldn't we given the drive? Thoughts?

Florence - when I was in Florence several years ago, we didn't shop. Diane & I enjoy shopping for niceties - what is this Santa Maria Novella I keep reading about?
We enjoyed the ContextRome tour of the Vatican Museums. Subsequent to that, I'm considering a ContextFlorence tour - anyone done so that can comment?

Bologna - our last night will be spent here as that's where our ff tickets could take us out of. Hotels I'm considering:
ArtHotel Orologio
ArtHotel Novocento
Hotel Metropolitan
Hotel Baglioni

I appreciate those who contribute to our upcoming vacation...many thanks!

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
ira

Hi mom,

> I Sette Consoli, ... Reservations for lunch on a Wednesday? Is it a savor and take your time kind of lunch? <

Yes and yes.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM

If you mean La Chiusa in Montefollonico, reserve well in advance! And be prepared to spend heavily. If you're worried about driving in the dark, it's also open for lunch.

Santa Maria Novella manufactures and sells perfume products, including soaps, lotions etc. If you do a search, you'll find dozens of threads talking about the products.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM

>>should we or shouldn't we given the drive? Thoughts?<<

I try very hard (and mostly succeed) to NOT drive after dark, especially on these kinds of roads...
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM

I recommend Tre Pupazzi for lunch near the Vatican. It's on Borgo Pio a few blocks away. I've heard it's often frequented by Vatican personnel, so that should be a good sign. Our lunch there last May was delicious and service was excellent.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Ira - a long & lingering lunch at I Sette Consoli it is, then, including reservations, can't wait!

Zerlina & TuckH - I'm not having good vibes about La Chiusa with the price & drive, will save it for another trip - thanks!

Hazel1 - I appreciate the restaurant suggestion, just what I needed. With much appreciation...will report back.

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:37 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Remember, that if you want the fixed price menu, everyone at the table has to order it.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Here's a thread with info about restaurants near the VAtican
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35019213
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM

We have stayed at the Hotel Orologio in Bologna. Small hotel, right off the main piazza. Nice breakfast, small but nicely done rooms with modern bath.