Questions - so many questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14 year old daughter and I will be visiting Amsterdam, Paris & Brussels in August. Any positive/negative thoughts on our hotel choices. Hotel Amsterdam, Crowne Plaza Brussels City Centre and Citadines Opera Drouot?
Thinking of side trip from Amsterdam to Edam for a day. Considered day trip out of Paris, but not really sure - Loire Valley perhaps?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:12 PM

..re Paris..I think the hotel is ok BUT it is located in the 9th..NOT my favorite are esp for ? a first visit for yor daughter..suggest the 6th..but really 1-8th ok..i just find the area that your hotel is in just a little bleak and a little less central..how long is your trip..if 2 week do suggest a day away from paris..versille (quick and easy),chartres, but i think your daughter would most enjoy the chateau..get a 1 day bus tour to the loire...have fun and enjoy her company..
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Some may tell you that the Hotel Amsterdam (if this is the one I am thinking of) is not in the most "ideal" location as it is situated overlooking Dam Square. However I stayed there several years ago and didn't find it to be too noisy as some might suggest or the area to be offputting.
A lot of people here seem to prefer the Jordaan but the Amsterdam is well-located in terms of tram lines, etc., and is within very easy walking distance of Centraal Station if youir thinking about using rail for a day trup. Great supermarket right behind the Dam Square, too, if that's of any interest.
The Dam Square area is a bit garish for some but let's see what others might have to say.
Have a great trip.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. Will be staying in Amsterdam for 4 days, Brussels for 3 days, Paris for 4 days and visiting family in Limburg Holland for 2. Haven't been to Holland myself in about 30 years. Last year's trip to Cuba was something she enjoyed, but the food kind of turned her off. Figured the food would be better in Europe! The hotel in Paris was a bit out of the main tourist areas, but the thought of "living in Paris" appealed to the 14 year old!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:39 AM

peggy..would probably stick to paris if just there for 4 days though a half day in versilles id easy and not really a day trip..I really would seriously consider switching hotel in Paris as I really dont think the 9th would be my choice for a short first time visit..you might want to post a heading on the board such as hotel arr. 9 paris to ellicit other opinions.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelbunny. I'll post something in the "France" section and see what I get. It didn't look like it was in a bad area, and it was recommended by my travel agent. My only concern was that we're a bit too far off the beaten track.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:11 AM

peggyb, Would you mind a few posting hints to help you get useful answers?

There are only a few forums here, including EUROPE and UNITED STATES. When you compose a question, it will go to whichever of these you are in, NOT to CALIFORNIA or AUSTRIA. Choosing a country or state from the list only helps with searches.

Most people looking to help have knowledge about more than one country or state, and will go to the EUROPE FORUM or the UNITED STATES FORUM. Therefore, when a post has no location in the title, there is no way of knowing which city or state/country you need help with. You will likely get the most help if you are as specific and concise in you title as possible. People might not click on HELP WITH HOTEL!, for example, but HOTEL XYZ IN CITY, STATE will be difficult for a person who's stayed there to skip.

In addition, Fodor's forums move pretty quickly. To find you question at any time, click on your name (above, after WELCOME, if you are logged in.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For peggyb~ The thing you need to find out about hotel recommendations from a travel agent is: 1) Is this a hotel or neighborhood they have stayed in and liked themselves therefore recommend, or 2) do they receive commission from the hotel for booking guests there?
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Elberko - sorry I thought I was in the Europe area and I probably had too many questions all at once.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Yes, you were in the europe forum, that's not the problem. I'm just trying to help you get as many answers as possible by using better titles. Also, your reference to the "France" section" made me think you needed some help understanding how the forum works. Just trying to help!

~Liz
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks elberko - can use all the help I can get - this is very new to me. Keep the tips coming!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you seem open to suggestions reosting tips and since obviously I spend too much time in this board (!)...

I see your 2 threads when I log on the the Europe branch, so I don't know what country we're talking about until I open your post. Your titles of "questions..." and "poor hotel choice" don't really tell me what kind of information you need (but once again I'm bored at work & found your trip questions interesting once I read them).

As far as Paris, as others have mentioned, personally I'd stay somewhere in the Latin Quarter (5th) - or maybe 4, 6 or even 7... for the travel magazine photo shoot Parisian atmosphere.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Is your time division set in stone? If not, I'd seriously consider lengthening the time you stay in Paris and cut some days from Brussels. Some might also suggest cutting a day off A'dam and adding even more to Paris.

For me a better use of time would be 3 days in Amsterdam, 2 w/ your relatives in Limburg, a day or two in Brussels and all the rest in Paris.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. The kitchenette seemed like a good idea. First time to Europe for me in about 30 years, my daughter's first trip and we only have two weeks. Because of the flight times/time change, we know that our first day in Amsterdam might be a bit of a write-off. Was thinking of taking a day trip to Edam while staying in Amsterdam. Brussels - have to take the train back to Amsterdam to catch the train to Brussels - again we might lose most of the first day. And not sure yet when we'll leave for Paris - gotta figure out those train schedules! We might only get two full days in Brussels anyway.
Keep those suggestions and ideas coming!