Reload this Page >

Questions re: hotel outside Florence, Florentine parking situation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Sandra

Dear all,<BR><BR>I will be going to Italy for the first time in late May. I am planning to spend approximately 4-5 days in the Tuscan region. In that time, I'd like to spend at least one day in Florence, but I do not want to stay in the city itself. Can anyone suggest a moderately priced hotel ($150 USD or less per night) in the outskirts of Florence, within a reasonable driving distance of the city (max. 30 minutes)? Also, since I'll be driving into Florence, parking, and then walking for the greater part of the day, can anyone tell me what to expect in terms of curb-side parking availability in the city of Florence? Any bit of info you might provide (esp. hotel suggestions) will be most appreciated. Thanks!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM
sandra

topping...

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:19 AM
kate

Hi Sandra<BR><BR>Driving in Florence is hair raising to say the least, and parking roadside next to impossible. If you can find a bus or train route in, that would be far preferable.<BR><BR>If that's not possible, then there is underground parking beneath the main train station (Santa Maria Novella) which I've used before. <BR><BR>Just watch out for those scooters weaving inbetween the cars!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Cissy

I don't know if this is viable solution but possibly you could stay just outside Florence in Fiesole? I've not actually been to Fiesole, however do know that it's a 30-minute bus road down to Florence (under impression that Fiesole is on hill overlooking area). If there are hotels there with parking accommadations, you could leave car there for your daytrip into Florence.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 12:28 PM
marie

Sandra, we parked easily at Piazzale Michelangelo which is a short walk for Florence centre (10 mins or so) Plus you get a great view of the city from the car park!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Nancy

I drove into Florence from the airport for a day of shopping and parked under the train station also. It is very convenient and well-lit. You get a ticket and then pay and have it stamped just before you leave. When you walk out of the station you can stay underground at the busy intersection then emerge for your day. Alternately, I would suggest staying in the outskirts on the oltra Arno side and taking a bus into the main part of town.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:33 PM
fefefe

Living in Florence I can tell you that it is illegal for non-residents to street park or even drive--watch your street signs for proof of that--in the center of Florence. Your car will be towed plus a heavy fine unless you garage your car. The city is actively promoting taking public transportation into the center to try and reduce some of the pollution caused by all the cars and to relieve some of the congestion--and freeing up street space for those who live there and have no place to park. There are several garges in the historic center, many near the train staion and of course the staion itself.