Questions on Trip to Italy

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Kevena Bamford

Questions on Trip to Italy

Hello,
My husband and I are planning a 3 week trip to Italy this September and have a few questions:

1) We would like to go to Sardinia for 5 days. Does anyone know if ferries run from Rome to Olbia or Cagliari. If so, what are the conditions, price and travel time.

2) We are planning to rent a car in Rome and drive through Tuscany to Venice. When arriving in Venice, can any one recommend if we should park the car in city outer limits or turn in our rental during the duration of our stay in Venice. (We will need to return to Rome for return flight). What would be the pros and cons.

3) During our travels though the Tuscany area, we were wanting to find accomadations as we go. Is this wise, or should we book hotels ahead as we are doing for Rome and Venice ?

4) Any recommended budget hotels would be appreciated in venice and Rome.

Thank you in advance for all your comments and planning advise !
Kev.

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 04:01 PM
elaine

Dear Kevena
I have not used a car in Italy, but it seems to me that you should turn it in outside of Venice, although I am a little confused about your driving
from Rome "through Tuscany to Venice".
However you get to Venice, turn it in outside of Venice (in Mestre perhaps, or elsewhere, but check on drop-off charges). When you are finished in Venice you can easily take the train, or fly, to Rome.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Jan

Kevena,
Sounds like a great trip to Italy. we also will be in Sardinia in Sept. We go to Italy a couple of times each year and usually spend time in the Lake District and Tuscany. You should not have any problem booking as you go in Sept. We did it two years ago and stayed in some great places. Some recs are: La Picola Fenice in Venice, the renovated monastery in Pienza and Serego Alghieris La Foresteria in Verona.
Enjoy,
Jan

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Paulo

The Italian Rail (Ferrovia dello Stato) appears to have a service connecting Rome to Olbia. One leaves at 8:04pm to Civitavecchia on train, then a FS bus to the port, then a FS ferry to Golfo Aranci and a FS bus to Olbia, arriving at 6:28am. The price is Lit 21,400/30,000 for 1st/2nd class ticket with reservation (seating all the way; don't know if they've sleeping cabins on the ferry, which takes 8 hours to do the crossing).

There are private ferries out from Civitavecchia to Golfo Aranci. You'd have to take a train from Rome (very frequent) and take it from there. You may find info on timetables and fares at
http://www.fun.informare.it/ferry/sardinia/cv-arauk.asp
and/or
http://www.forti.it/tourship/inglese/sardegna/cgset.htm

I would deal to return the car in Venice proper (Piazzale Roma) and take a train or flight back.

Paulo

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 12:07 PM
the turnip

Dear Kevena, While in Venice we stayed at the Hotel Galleria and really enjoyed it. We paid about $90 for a triple with a room right on the Grand Canal (including breakfast). Our room was small but clean and the bathroom was down the hall. Still for 3 people and less than $100 in Venice I thought it was a great value. It's also very easy to get to as it's only 100 feet from the Accadamia bridge. Try a search on the name here on the fourm. If you can't find them let me know and I'll dig up their web address for you.

tpr

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 02:13 PM
BillJ

When you say you are driving from Rome through Tuscany to Venice, I hope you are not scheduling that as a one day trip. It can of course be driven in one day, but little or no time would be allowed to view Tuscany/Florence, etc. I hope you mean that you are leisurely driving north to Venice over a period of days, and after Venice, leisurely back to Rome to see what you might have missed, or perhaps a different way. If this is the case, park your car at the big parking garage, (check on current fees) at the end of the long bridge out to Venice. You will then take a boat in to your hotel. (no cars in Venice)

If this is not the case, and you wish to speed from Rome to Venice and back after a few days in Venice, forget the car completely and take the train to and fro. Couple of years ago, we drove from Venice to Rome, but took about three days doing it. That was just some time in Florence. We picked up Siena, etc later on that trip.

As for hotels, I think you'll find Venice is always kind of full, especially the budget rooms. You should book that in advance. In September, I don't think you'll have much trouble elsewhere, unless there's a festival or something going on. During our drive around the country, we only booked ahead Venice and Positano. We had a couple of good travel guides (including the one from this board's host), and phoned ahead when we had an idea of where we would be. Good luck. We loved Venice and Rome.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:28 PM
virginia

Hello. Just returned from Venice, Rome, and Florence.
In Venice stayed in a nice hotel, Pensione Casa Fontana, which I can recommend. Not sure what other folks' definition is of budget....Fontana was L270,000 double so that's not really budget, though not luxury either. You can check it out at www.hotelfontana.it. The Fontana is a small hotel, very well-kept and clean, comfortable rooms. One of our rooms had a lovely view over someone's flower-filled terrace and a church in the background, while the other room had no view at all. Fontana is not on the Grand Canal, but I actually preferred the location, on a quiet back street, but just two blocks from the canal and a few blocks from San Marco.
In Rome we stayed at the Hotel Portoghesi, at L310,000 double our most expensive place, probably not considered budget. I liked the hotel, though rooms were small (others might say cramped) we were not in them very much so it was not an issue; I think the hotel might have been renovated very recently as it looked very nicely done, probably nicest place we stayed. Of course, breakfast on the roof garden won us over!
We took the train from Venice to Rome and, with reserved seats, it was just fine with us...about 5 hours, a chance to see the beautiful countryside, rest, write postcards.
Have a fabulous trip!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 03:00 PM
Heather

My first trip to Venice we picked up a car on the way out ... there's actually a pick-up/drop-off location close to the train station in the more industrial area. We didn't pay extra to pick-up there. Also, I don't know how fancy or plush of a hotel that you're looking for, but the first time my friend and I went we stayed in La Locando di Fiorta (2 stars, but very clean & private baths). It's quaint but nice with a delightful family that runs it. It was approx $45-50 for 2 and we had a room on the top floor with our own balcony. It's on San Marco and 2 minutes from the Accademia Bridge. If you want more info, feel free to drop me an email. Have fun!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 03:16 PM
sandi

Kevena,

I was in Italy last Oct., so I'm not sure if the tourist crowd differs much from Sept...but we travelled from Milan down the west coast across the tuscany / umbria regions (I don't know the other region names) and back up the east coast to Ravenna without a single reservation..about a 2 week trip. We had no trouble finding a nice room in our price range. I think in Lucca we had to go to 2 hotels before we found one but hey that was part of the adventure!! - Have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Marty

Kevena: We were in Venice in June and stayed at the Hotel al Piave (www.elmoro.com/alpiave; [email protected]) and the Locanda Leon Bianco (no website that I can find, but email: [email protected]). Both were very nice and about $125 per night for a double with breakfast which I thought was about as budget as I could find in Venice. I got them from Cheap Sleeps in Italy. The al Piave was between San Marco and the Rialto. The Leon Bianco was on the Grand Canal. The room at the Leon Bianco was very large and furnished with antiques. I do not think they had air conditioning, but I don't know that that is an issue in September. The al Piave had a small room with nice reproductions. It was airconditioned. Both hotels had new, nice tiled bathrooms with shower doors! I plan to stay at the al Piave again in November, because I liked its location and the owners and the hotel so much.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 08:31 PM
jesse

I'd fly to Sardinia. Its very inexpensive, especially if you route yourself via Rome to Cagliari or Olbia from the states - its just a bit more than the fare to Rome. takes less than an hour and you have more time in Sardinia.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:53 AM
Paulo

Kevena, it just struck me that you'll most probably want a car in Sardegna as well. You may wish to rent in Rome, ferry back and forth and follow to Tuscany and Venice.

If that's the case, as you may have already seen, you can take the 8:10am Express Ferry out from Civitavecchia. This would call for an early start in Rome (approx. 6am). You'd be in Golfo Aranci before noon. Depending on the days you're travelling, you may take the 4:25pm express ferry, arriving at 8pm, instead. Round trip for 2 and the car would cost Lit 396,000 + 11,400 port taxes. The normal ferry costs somewhat less (Lit 270,000 + 11,400 taxes round trip for 2 + car) but takes much longer (7 hours). You may check
http://www.forti.it/tourship/inglese/sardegna/cgset.htm
and see if you may fit your timetable to the days marked with *.

Paulo

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Marty

Kevena: I was cleaning out one of my travel bags from my June trip to Venice and found both an [email protected] a website-www.leonbianco.it- for the Locanda Leon Bianoc. Take a look!