questions on Ireland itinerary

Jul 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

questions on Ireland itinerary

So weve been incredibly behind on everything, and Im now having trouble putting all the information together for our trip to Ireland later this month. I know it is really late to book actual places, but this is what Im doing this weekend. Theres been a lot of wonderful information on these boards that I have gone through, and that has really helped in the planning. Im hoping to get some feedback on what our plans are. As I pared this down to be able to post (and it is still long sorry), it maybe got a little more reasonable, but Im not sure.

We fly in Thursday night to Shannon (having been around London for 3 days) and leave the following Thursday from Dublin so a total of 6 days. Im going with my mom and sister; my sister uses a wheelchair to help her get around so stairs are a problem. We also really shouldnt try to fit too much into a day. Were interested mainly in castles, ruins, museums, and the beautiful scenery. (I havent really had a chance to see how accessible specific places are, but I know that it wont be easy.) So obviously we still have a lot of work to do in planning this, but helpful comments would be appreciated. Were first trying to pin down the different places and then well go from there.

So currently,
Thursday evening: arrive in Shannon (Ennis or Shannon for the night)

Friday day: Cliffs of Moher (maybe the Burren or Doolin), drive back down coast to ferry, drive to Dingle [night]
[Previously, we were not doing the cliffs but planned on driving through Adare and Limerick. Are both possible on this day or which is recommended?]

Saturday: around Dingle Peninsula, maybe start to see area around Killarney [night in Kenmare or Killarney]

Sunday: Ring of Kerry, (maybe Beara Peninsula), continuing area around Kenmare / Killarney, [another night in same place in Kenmare / Killarney]
[Is it better to have the extra time in the Ring of Kerry / Dingle area and cut out the trip down to Cork / Cobh area? Or would you recommend heading out to Cork this afternoon / evening?]

Monday: in AM heads towards Cahir and Cashil and spend day there [night in Cahir, Cashil, or Kilkenny]
[Our other plan was that after being in this area during the day, we would head south and spend the night in waterford area thoughts?]

Tuesday: start heading towards Dublin (maybe head down to Wexford and work up from there?) [night somewhere south of Dublin]

Wednesday: in AM, head into Dublin and spend day and night there {I realize theres some controversy over seeing Dublin or not, but its definitely something my family wants to spend at least a little time in.]

Thursday: leave Dublin airport around 12

Thank you for all your help!
Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:06 AM

It's an either/or thing: If you take the Killimer-Tarbert ferry, skip Adare & Limerick City. In west Clare, stop at Spanish Point where Willie Clancy's annual Irish Step dancing competitions & classes are happening at the Armada Hotel around the last half of July. Spanish Point is 2km from Miltown Malbay, about 10km from Lahinch

Adare, Ireland's 'Tidy Village' doesn't have much going for it: 2-Parkland Golf courses and a couple of thatched roof cottages (Photo Opp). Limerick City is a seaport and home to one of Ireland's top Universities, but unless you want to see the Treaty Stone or the Hunt Museum or are 'connecting' thru there, I don't see it as much of a tourist destination.

You won't need a car in Dublin!

Try to get to the airport around 09:30, for a 12:00 departure, especially if your flight is to the U.S.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:01 AM

I think you'll enjoy your trip more if you make one more round of paring down. Here are my thoughts.

Thur - Stay in Ennis.

Fri - You can fit in the Cliffs, then I'd suggest the Kilmer-Tarbert ferry to the Dingle. You'll be in for a very long day if you do the Burren as well (I'd save it for another trip).

Sat - The Dingle takes 4-6hrs from Talee (more depending on the number of stops). You could make it to Kenmare, but that will put you on a tighter schedule than if you stayed near Killarney. I love The Dingle, but you might be better off cutting it and committing this day to Killarney/ROK (there is a lot to do in that area - if you do the Dingle you'll need to prioritize which ROK and Killarney National Park things you want to do...you won't be able to do them all).

Sun - ROK is a full day of touring (I don't think you'll have time for Beara or Cork/Cobh on this trip).

Mon - Cahir Castle/Swiss Cottage and The Rock of Cashel should be open until 7:30p on this day, so you have the whole day to get there from Kerry. Realize it will take a lot longer than it looks like it will on the map (there are no direct routes, so you'll either be taking side roads or going out of your way on main roads), so give yourself a good amount of time so you can enjoy the journey and the inland scenery. I'd suggest a stay near Cashel (I can't imagine being able to fit in Waterford without racing from one site to the next).

Tues I wouldn't go to Dublin via Wexford. Take the more direct route from Cashel to Dublin.

There's no debate about whether or not to see Dublin. If it's something your family wants to experience, you really should do it. You did the right thing by choosing Shannon in/Dublin out.

If you are trying to avoid stairs when booking B&Bs be sure to ask them for a ground floor room (saying first floor could add some confusion as first floor often refers to the first floor after the ground floor in Ireland/UK/Australia).

Have a great trip. I'll be there about the same time, so let's hope the great weather they've been having over there htis summer continues!
Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts. It has been hard to integrate all the plans as my mom and sister came up with a preliminary schedule and then I worked with it some to pare it down, but still keep the highlights that they wanted to see. Thanks for the information about Adare and Limerick. We are actually returning our car on Wednesday morning so we won't have to drive in Dublin. I was also leaning towards cutting out Cork area and Waterford so removing those is a way to make it more reasonable. I'll look into more on the actual items on Dingle and ROK and which would perhaps be better suited for viewing from a wheelchair.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:51 AM

I think you'll be happier cutting something so you aren't so rushed - maybe your thinking of cutting Cork and especially Waterford (I'd cut Waterford even if I did have more time) is the best solution.

But just a comment - I would not leave it til the last minute to book accomodations almost anywhere along your route. Finding rooms won't be impossible - but finding handicapped/wheelchair accessible ones might be. Many B&Bs don't have ground floor rooms and even fewer have handicapped accessibile ones -- and they tend to book up.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Janis - I know we're in trouble with trying to find places since it is so late in the game. That's what I'm actually working on right now and was just going through previous postings listing recommended places. We might end up having to go more with hotels simply because of availability and access. The room itself doesn't need to be modified - we just can't have stairs.
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM

We stayed at Rose Cottage B&B in Ennis: asked for and got ground floor away from the Pub. It was a 'family' room w/a double bed and 2-twin beds. It's what I would call Wheelchair accessible. Carmel Daniels (or her husband - no, it's not Jack) is the lady to speak to.

Only a few of the B&B's in which I have stayed in Ireland have rental rooms on the ground floor; but there are some. Call ahead and ask!

In one case (Bangor Erris, County Mayo) Evelyn Cosgrove, operator / owner of the Hillcrest B&B, referred us to another B&B that didn't have an upstairs.