Reload this Page >

Questions- Grindelwald area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Don

Need help with distances- How long does it take to get from Interlaken to Grindelwald, and from Grindelwald to Wengen. Are there many hotels in Wengen and how are the prices? What do temps usually average in mid April- will I need winter clothes, I like to be outside, but don't plan on doing much hiking. Would like to keep luggage to a minimum! Hope to hear from Bob or anyone else familiar with the area. Thanks... Don

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Bob Brown

I have not been there in April, so I cannot answer the temperature question.<BR>My guess it will be cool by most standards. Wengen is about 4,000 feet or more, so it can get nippy at night, even in the early fall.<BR><BR>I have not stayed in the hotels in Wengen; you can check them out yourself on a website. Any search engine will find hotels in Wengen. My guess is that the cost is anywhere up 200 chf per night, with no meals. The Hirschen is a smaller hotel, and it is somewhat cheaper. You can find it at http://www.hirschen-wengen.ch/<BR><BR>At many hotels, room location is a factor. It depends on which way the room is facing and whether or not you have a room with a bath. South facing rooms are usually more costly for obvious reaons. (You pay to look at the Jungfrau, one way or the other.)<BR><BR>In terms of travel, there are 3 ways to get from Grindelwald to Wengen using normal means of transportation. I am not considering hiking as an option.<BR>The most direct way is to take the train from Grindelwald to Zweil&uuml;tschinen, change for the train to Lauterbrunnen, and change again to the Wengner Alpbahn in Lauterbrunnen. Takes about 60 to 70 minutes depending on how you hit the connections.<BR>You can also go via Kleine Scheidegg, but the trip is a few minutes longer, but only one change of trains is involved and the route is much, much more scenic. You see the north face of the Eiger almost all the way to Kleine Scheidegg. At KS, you would be strongly tempted just to stand and stare at the north face of the Eiger and the Jungfrau. In the summer, one incredible walk is to start in Wengen and walk to Kleine Scheidegg, past the alps and the peaks. <BR><BR>Given the location, the hotels are fairly reasonable.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Bob Brown

OOOOOOOOOOOOPPPS<BR>On the hotels, the Sunstar Hotel, which is 4 star, goes for 190 chf PER PERSON per night in the high season. That comes out to about $225 at today's rate of exchange.<BR>Often Swiss hotel prices are given per person. The buyer needs to be aware of that common pricing procedure.<BR>And some of the big hotels have a way of socking you extra if you stay in a double room alone!!<BR><BR>Even the Hirschen can be a little expensive if you take half board. In high season, room and two meals runs you $180 a day for two people.<BR>No tip is figured in these figures.<BR><BR>I also did not tell you the 3rd way to get to Wengen from Grindelwald. It is the longest time wise, but the most spectacular! Take the gondola from Grindelwald Grund to the top of the M&auml;nnlichen Ridge. Descend on the other side on the cable car to Wengen. <BR>I know the rides are open in the summer, but I am not sure about early spring. The scenery is top level.<BR><BR>The normal way, via Zweil&uuml;tschinen, is the least scenic. You are down at the bottom of narrow valleys and all you can see is the road and the side of the railroad cut.<BR><BR>If you have a choice take the other route via KLeine Scheidegg. It might cost a little more, but the scenery is more than worth it.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Millie

Don,<BR><BR>For more info on this area, check out Rick Steves' publications. I remember his "Europe Through The Back Door" including a section on Grindelwald, and I presume his Italy book does as well. In my experience, I have found his books to be interesting and fairly accurate and they serve as the perfect complement to a larger guidebook.<BR><BR>There is plenty of information at the train station in Interlaken as well. I don't think the train ride to Grindelwald is covered by a Eurail pass, but the fare is well worth it.<BR><BR>Enjoy your time in Switzerland! Grindelwald is especially beautiful!

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Don

Thank you Bob- as usual your posts on Swiss travel provide a wealth of info. From your reply, I probably will take the route via Kleine Scheidegg- I hope its open in April. <BR><BR>Thank you Millie for your Rick Steves recommendation- I will check out his Grindelwald comments. Don

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Bob Brown

The train via Kleine Scheidegg from Grindelwald to Wengen is listed in the schedule for the month of April.<BR>Of course, a blizzard can always raise havoc with schedules. <BR>I have never seen that country in full snow, I bet it is beautiful. (My visits have been in September.)<BR>The M&auml;nnlichen Ridge, which towers over Wengen and the Lauterbrunnen Valley is indeed a formidable obstacle. Looking out of my apartment window in Lauterbrunnen, you begin to get the idea when you see the rows of snow fences high above. That delivers message that in the winter, avalanches are a constant threat. I know one year the Wengen station of the cable lift got wiped out by an avalanche, and the cable lift itself was out of service for a while. It had not been back in operation long when we rode it in September of 2000.<BR><BR>When you make the trip, my suggestion is to go on to your hotel in Wengen, and then head back up to KS without the encumbrance of luggage. If the Jungfraubahn line is open (and it is mostly enclosed inside the face of the Eiger), you might consider taking the trip. It is gorgeous up there, incredible views. But the price is a little steep. <BR>There is a transportation pass you can buy for the Berner Oberland area. If you take the 4 most expensive rides in the area, you will reach the break-even point. (Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, First,and Schynige Platte.)<BR>Of course there are other ways to break even, too. We had the pass in 2000 and acted like two kids at a carnival. We rode everything we could find, even some we did not know about because we stumbled across them while wandering.<BR>That is beautiful scenery out there, but in a way it is forboding, particularly when the clouds are heavy and it is snowing or sleeting heavily and you are well away from shelter with the trail rapidly disappearing from view!!<BR>I don't know how long you will have, but there is plenty to see and do.<BR>I just hope it is not too windy to take the gondola up to First. There is a restaurant up there where you can view in a sheltered place. If wind conditions are too severe, the operators shut the gondola down.<BR><BR>We were in one once when the wind came up and forced a shutdown. The operator knew we were there and kept easing our car down closer to a cable tower to damp the oscillations of the gondola which was swinging breeze. I felt a little uncomfortable, but a friend of mine was with us. He is used to that sort of thing because he is a skier and he was so upset he fell asleep. My wife is pretty much unflappable and she enjoyed the experience. She said it was like a porch swing, only the view was better.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Don

Bob- Thanks again. I'm going to be there about 3 days so I'll be praying for clear weather. Re hotels, though I've considered Wengen, I suppose another option is staying in Grindelwald and sightseeing from there. Don

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Bob Brown

For three days, I think Wengen makes sense, but so does Grindelwald.<BR>I personally stay in Lauterbrunnen because the apartment we rent has free parking and it is about a 10 minute walk to the train station and to the valley station of the lift up to Grutschalp for the little train to M&uuml;rren. I don't think it matters where you stat if you get close to transportation. <BR><BR>It does not matter to me as long as I have a comfortable place to stay and I can get in, out and about.<BR>If the weather is bad, you may prefer Grindelwald because there is more going on. You can get out of there on the train and go to Luzern for a visit to the transportation museum.<BR>Or drive it if you have a car.<BR>Some people argue that the views are better from Wengen, but if it is cloudy it doesn't matter. If it is clear, I am elsewhere most of the day.<BR><BR>