Reload this Page >

questions about visiting Pompeii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 05:19 PM
Jeryl P

Has anyone ever visited Pompeii as a "day trip" from Rome? It seems like a very long day, but do-able. If not, does anyone have recommendations where to stay around there. Sorrento seems out of the question as we will be there mid-March.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 05:42 PM
Ed

Under three hours from Roma Termini to the excavations, with frequent service throughout the day. <BR> <BR>It certainly shortchanges Pompeii a bit to make it a day trip, but it's quite doable and worthwhile. You can actually squeeze in a visit to Herculaneum if your really energetic (station Ercolano Scavi). <BR> <BR>Naples is usually a bit under two hours; change to the 'circumvesuviana' line (via a short walk through the tunnel) for the local to Pompeii. The station (Pompeii Scavi - Villa dei Misteri) is a short walk from the excavations. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 08:54 PM
gb

Most people don't like to stay in Pompei because it seems a bit rough and ramshackle compared to quaint hill towns. We visited friends there last summer, and they took us to an agritourismo called Vivi Natura via Ponte Izzo 49 80045 Pompei Tel 081/861 56 52. It's a nice B & B type place on the outskirts of Pompei about 1 1/2 miles or 2 from the ruins. The second B was just toast and coffee. The rooms were smallest, with very modern bathrooms, and was very clean. The hosts were great. It was less than $50 a night for 2. If you're there on a weekend, you see a wedding or a communion reception because there is a room for small banquets. In the summer, there is a small vineyard/farm and swimming pool. If you don't want to go back to Rome or over to Sorrento, I think you will be happy with the agritourismo. It's located behind a stone wall, so you can't see it from the road.Our friends also suggested the Hotel Europa (I think that was the name) downtown Pompei, walking distance from the ruins. I think it was more like $90 a night, but we didn't see the hotel. We were happy with the place we had. Also, not far from the B&B was a wood over pizza place favored by locals called Bougainvilla Pizza. It has a wonderful evening view of Vesuvius. <BR>The reason Pompei is so ramshackle is that in the 40's and 50's, there was no set building codes. Buildings could be built any which way, in any design, and many were unstable. That is why a lovely building might be hiding behind a stone wall,while it's neighbor is almost scary looking.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:36 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 01:26 AM
Ken

Watch out for pickepockets especially on the Circumvesuvian platform. It's what I would call a "snake pit" down there with very little police presence in that area. It's dark and dingy. My pocket was picked on that platform and $6000 in credit card charges posted in the one and a half hours before I contacted the banks.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:29 PM
Syl

We did Vastour #12 which was a trip including guided tour of Pompeii, overnight stay in nice Sorrento hotel (Bristol with a spectacular view of the sea, including dinner and breakfast and a trip the next day to Isle of Capri, the town of Anacapri at the top of the mountain and a boat excursion in the Blue Grotto. The cost was $200/pp and we thought it was a super deal We were dropped off at our Rome hotels late the next night, but wouldn't have missed it for the world. Vastours also has a one day tour of Pompeii/Sorrento, but if you can, take the overnight one.