Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about visiting Howth and Malahide while in Dublin. Need Advice and Tips.

Search

Questions about visiting Howth and Malahide while in Dublin. Need Advice and Tips.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my trip to Dublin. Malahide and Howth have been suggested to me as relatively close places to visit to see something outside of the city. Can confirm realistically see both on one day? Any tips? Any must sees? In the train the best way to go? I like history, architecture, ruins, unique scenic sites. I’d like too and your a castle in Ireland. I am in Dublin for 3 days. Thanks in advance
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 09:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Our daughter did her Third Level at Trinity College Dublin and we visited many times. It's entirely possible to visit both Malahide and Howth in the same day, but your day would be rushed. Howth is best enjoyed with a cliff walk followed by lunch at the harbor; Malahide (and the town) is charming. Depending on your goals, you could have an early start in Howth and then transit to Malahide to wrap up the day? If you must choose between the two, given your interests I would suggest Howth.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robbd001
I am planning my trip to Dublin. Malahide and Howth have been suggested to me as relatively close places to visit to see something outside of the city. Can confirm realistically see both on one day? Any tips? Any must sees? In the train the best way to go? I like history, architecture, ruins, unique scenic sites. I’d like too and your a castle in Ireland. I am in Dublin for 3 days. Thanks in advance
I meant tour a castle in Ireland
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fourfortravel
Our daughter did her Third Level at Trinity College Dublin and we visited many times. It's entirely possible to visit both Malahide and Howth in the same day, but your day would be rushed. Howth is best enjoyed with a cliff walk followed by lunch at the harbor; Malahide (and the town) is charming. Depending on your goals, you could have an early start in Howth and then transit to Malahide to wrap up the day? If you must choose between the two, given your interests I would suggest Howth.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 03:54 PM

Easily done by DART. I’d go Howth for lunch (Octopussy is a favorite) and Malahide for a walk around and an ice cream or afternoon tea. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nylilly
Easily done by DART. I’d go Howth for lunch (Octopussy is a favorite) and Malahide for a walk around and an ice cream or afternoon tea. Enjoy your trip!
Thank You!