Questions about visiting Belfast!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Belfast for about 4-5 hours. I’d like to visit the Titanic museum/site. Any tips about that? What are some other spots I should try and see in Belfast? I should be arriving by train. Any tips or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:55 AM

Hope Mods will add “UK” tag to this, as Northern Ireland is not considered to be Ireland.

We loved Belfast but had longer than you do, so different experiences.
The Titanic Experience is wonderful!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 08:24 AM
Forum Moderator

Changed tag to United Kingdom
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moderator1
Changed tag to United Kingdom
thank you! That was my mistake
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 11:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
4 or 5 hours is not very long -- where are you arriving in to Belfast and from where are you departing (Lanyon Place station, one of the airports, or??) And what time of day -- which 4 or 5 hours?

Considering potential transit times -- most likely you'll have time for just the Titanic plus a meal -- maybe 2 hours for the Titanic bits and 1-ish hour for the Nomadic.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 02:43 PM

Black cab tour of the murals. Both IRA and Provos. Was there in 2017. The Troubles still exist. And I was with a PSNI detective. Still no go zones. But enjoyed Belfast
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
4 or 5 hours is not very long -- where are you arriving in to Belfast and from where are you departing (Lanyon Place station, one of the airports, or??) And what time of day -- which 4 or 5 hours?

Considering potential transit times -- most likely you'll have time for just the Titanic plus a meal -- maybe 2 hours for the Titanic bits and 1-ish hour for the Nomadic.
I will be arriving at the Lanyon Place station around 930 am and need to leave by 2/230

Last edited by robbd001; Feb 29th, 2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 03:35 PM

OK -- it is less than a 1.5 mile walk/less than 30 mins along the river (or a 8-ish minute cab ride) -- if this is before the end of March . . . arriving at 09:30 will get you there right at the 10AM opening time. (If this is afterApril 1st, the Titanic opens at 09:00)

I'd spend a minimum 2 hours in the 'Experience' and another minimum 1 hour for the Nomadic. I loved going up on the Bridge of the Nomadic.

There are a couple of cafes in the complex but nothing to write home about so I'd head back to the station area for lunch and back on the train. There are a couple of casual restaurants maybe a 5 minute walk from the station.

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

OK -- it is less than a 1.5 mile walk/less than 30 mins along the river (or a 8-ish minute cab ride) -- if this is before the end of March . . . arriving at 09:30 will get you there right at the 10AM opening time. (If this is afterApril 1st, the Titanic opens at 09:00)

I'd spend a minimum 2 hours in the 'Experience' and another minimum 1 hour for the Nomadic. I loved going up on the Bridge of the Nomadic.

There are a couple of cafes in the complex but nothing to write home about so I'd head back to the station area for lunch and back on the train. There are a couple of casual restaurants maybe a 5 minute walk from the station.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! Is the walk from the station to the Titanic museum safe? Are there interesting things to see along the way?
thanks again!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 06:50 PM

Yes -- Totally safe. It is mostly a riverside pedestrianized walkway, you cross a bridge over the river and it passes a marina.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

yes -- totally safe. It is mostly a riverside pedestrianized walkway, you cross a bridge over the river and it passes a marina.
thanks!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 04:32 AM

Just want to emphasize robbd001 that technically, with your timing, you are not visiting Belfast, per se. You are actually just visiting the Titanic/Nomadic and the historic dockyards of Belfast. You could add a little "flava" by diverting your walk back to the station by the Big Fish and Sammy the Seal artworks, but that's about all you'd have time for. You don't get to sample the city--you are more or less sampling newer construction. Why do I know this? Well, we were staying in a newish apartment overlooking the Titanic and the highway. To get to taste the city, we always had to go in the opposite direction.

Just putting it out there as an idea--If I were you with your trip timing, I'd either stick it out with sites and daytrips closer to your landing place, Dublin OR completely shift your focus to Belfast. Landing in Dublin airport inches you up towards Northern Ireland anyway, and public transport from DUB can plant you in the middle of the action within 2 hours. Please be aware: I like both Dublin (spent a week) and Belfast (spent less than a week but spent equal time in the rest of Northern Ireland), but if I had only three/four days, I think Belfast has more easily accessible city options (eg, the free City Hall tour) and more convenient daytrip options (eg, Giant's Causeway) that can be accessed by public transport, not just tours.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlessandraZoe
Just want to emphasize robbd001 that technically, with your timing, you are not visiting Belfast, per se. You are actually just visiting the Titanic/Nomadic and the historic dockyards of Belfast. You could add a little "flava" by diverting your walk back to the station by the Big Fish and Sammy the Seal artworks, but that's about all you'd have time for. You don't get to sample the city--you are more or less sampling newer construction. Why do I know this? Well, we were staying in a newish apartment overlooking the Titanic and the highway. To get to taste the city, we always had to go in the opposite direction.

Just putting it out there as an idea--If I were you with your trip timing, I'd either stick it out with sites and daytrips closer to your landing place, Dublin OR completely shift your focus to Belfast. Landing in Dublin airport inches you up towards Northern Ireland anyway, and public transport from DUB can plant you in the middle of the action within 2 hours. Please be aware: I like both Dublin (spent a week) and Belfast (spent less than a week but spent equal time in the rest of Northern Ireland), but if I had only three/four days, I think Belfast has more easily accessible city options (eg, the free City Hall tour) and more convenient daytrip options (eg, Giant's Causeway) that can be accessed by public transport, not just tours.
Thanks for the tips and advice! I’m looking at extending my time in Belfast.