Questions about travel in Switzerland

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Questions about travel in Switzerland

First question(s): Leaving Zermatt and traveling to Geneva for trip home to USA. Will stay at the Geneva airport area for the night before the trip home. Where to stay for one night about half way between these two towns (husband says Villars?). And what route would be the best choice to Geneva (airport), the northern route around Lake Geneva or the south shore or even going though Chamonix.

Question 2: Stay in Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken for 3 nights? Hotel recommendations?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Well Montreux, Vevey, Lausanne, Morges are all towns right on Lac Leman and on the train line that runs directly to and terminates at the Geneva airport (~1 hour +/-).
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

I think I should clarify the fact that we will a car so we can take any route. Since we will have come via the northern route upon our arrival in Geneva, I was hoping for a different route back to Geneva. Is there a reasonable southern ( south of the lake) route?

For the time being, our plan is to arrive in Geneva (early morning) and travel to Cully (northern shore of Lake Geneva)for the first night. Then on to Chateau d'oex for the next two nights. After that, it is either Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken for three nights. Any advice or recommendations for this first part of the trip will be welcome.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Oops, sorry. I was thinking of towns that are easy to get to the Geneva airport by train.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Lauterbrunnen is in a lovely valley, with views of waterfalls and high mountains, and easy access to the Jungfrau and Schilthorn. I would stay there rather than Interlaken.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Hi Margo,

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that after driving the northern route, you're going to want to do it again! It's just lovely!

I've heard (no personal experience) that the southern French shore (Evian, etc) gets less sun than the Swiss shore.

I think Cully & Chateau d'Oex aren't that far apart, probably about an hour by car. I would suggest you pick one for your arrival trip and the other for the return trip (maybe stay in Cully the night before you leave). I would definitely want to stay longer than one night in each.

Don't stay in Interlaken; it's just a transport hub with a lot of souvenir shops. Mountains are still 40 minutes away by train. I've only stayed in Wengen or Grindelwald so don't have any recommendations for Lauterbrunnen.

s