Search

Questions about Trains in Belgium and itinerary

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Trains in Belgium and itinerary

Hello,

I am going to be spending time in Belgium and the Netherlands after a mission trip in Tanzania this July. I plan on having 5 days in each area.

I will be based out of Brussels--got a good deal on a studio apartment. I am looking forward to seeing some museums (more in Amsterdam), "soaking in the culture and history", people watching, enjoying the different foods--definitely the chocolate!

I was planning on going to spend a day each in Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent/Ypres, Brussels. Is it worth it to go to Luxembourg for a day. It is a 3 hour train ride each way from Brussels. Any other advice on places that I need to see or not to worry about?

And talking about trains..when I was looking on the Belgian rail website--they have some different rail passes. There is a 10 single rail pass--does that just work in Belgium or would that work for for all the places it goes to--like Luxembourg? Also there was a network railpass that you could get for a week--and was wondering if that would work for going to Luxembourg?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:05 AM

The 10 single rail pass at 74 euro works only between two Belgian stations and is really worthwhile for Brussels-Brugge Brussels-Ieper, Gent-Ieper and marginally for Brussels-Gent.
(FYI Luxembourg is not a Belgian city)
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM

I wouldn't do the 3 hour train ride to get to Lux city. We just returned from Belgium/Lux and really loved Brugge and Gent. You might consider another day in 1 of the cities you're already going to visit.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
ira

Hi SG,

Do you really want to spend about 8 hr getting to/from Luxembourg?
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM

Luxembourg to me is one of Europe's most physically gorgeous cities - with a deep gorge bisecting it - really beautiful - I'd stay overnight so you can leisurely tour its famous casements - military tunnels hewn out over the years in the cliffs and go out to the Hamm Military Cemetery - American Military Cemetery where Gen Patton amongst other Yanks are buried - Patton I guess being killed in a Jeep accident in the Grand Duchy after WW2 had just ended - cemetery is a few miles out of town with good bus links - and also you can see the EU Court of Justice (not sure what appendage of EU is here but think that is right!) And it is a nice 3-hour trip thru the forested Ardennes.