Reload this Page >

Questions about France ATMs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 05:58 PM
Carol

How do you understand the ATM prompts if you can't read French? Also, is it correct that when you enter the amount of money you wish to receive you enter francs rather than US dollars even though you are using a US ATM card? These are questions that probably will answer themselves once we use the French ATMs, but would love to have the info ahead of time. Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 06:31 PM
betsy

Don't worry, Carol. There's a little button on some French ATMs that brings up an English menu. You won't have any trouble figure it out. Yes, the amount is FFs. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:12 PM
Sherry

Also Carol, the ATM's are EVERYWHERE. They are very easy to use and understand. After the first time, you will be a pro! Have a great time. My bank charges me $1.50 per transaction, which we felt was worth it. We did not always receive a receipt, so keep track of all your withdrawals. We never had a problem after we returned home, but it never hurts to keep good records.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:28 PM
Cherie

We used ATMS all the time. There is a real convenient one inside Bon Marche, and there are others all over. Your bank can give you a brochure that lists some of the locations in Paris; there are literally everywhere, though. The exchange rate we received was good.

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 07:44 PM
bob Brown

Hi Carol. To be succint about it: <BR>Card in; select language. <BR>Type PIN. <BR>Type amount in FF. <BR>French money out. <BR>Card out. <BR>And please take your card along with the money. <BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 09:52 AM
Carol

Thank you! I think I've got it! We have always used credit cards and travelers' checks, but this trip want to use credit cards and ATMs. Of course, we always go with a little currency, and will do so this time. Appreciate the responses - one less thing to be concerned about.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 01:00 PM
Anna

We brought about 700 FF with us on our trip to France in September and used ATM's the rest of the trip. I would suggest writing down every ATM transaction in a notebook with the date, amount, and city. Our account was debited for a transaction where we didn't receive any money, the machine said it could not process our request. When we got home, our account had been debited for the transaction. We went to our bank, they said they could see if the machine balanced that day and if it did not our account would be credited. We received a credit of $269.

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Judy

We used an atm daily during our first trip to paris. however, last year we were in a train station (gard de lyon) where the atm ate my card. i called the bank but didn't have the address of our hotel in the south of france. never did get my card back but nothing bad happened either!

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 07:21 PM
Rena

We were just in France in Oct and had no problems with the ATM's. A choice of languages where English was ALWAYS offered. Furthermore, to make it easy, a choice of amounts were always offered as well, in Ff's and the equivalent in Euro. Since Euro's are "almost" the same as US$, assuming you're from the States, it gave us a good idea how much US$'s we're taking out. If none of the amount choices fit our need, there's a choice for "Other amounts" where the ATM's would allow us to punch in the amount we wanted. Have fun!